0 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2003 3:15 PM by jkressin

JNDI Timeout

jkressin

Hi,

i am not quite sure if this is the right forum, maybe it is a general JNDI question, but i try. Heres the point:

I am trying to port a JMS - based application from BEA 7 to JBoss 3.2.2, running on a WinXP box. Basically, we have many JMS Clients which all want to connect to the server (SWT apps on remote machines). So, I wanted to test how many clients JBoss can handle before porting the app. As a first test, I created approx. 200 Threads on one client machine. The threads just create an InitalContext, connect to the server and lookup 'ConnectionFactory' . After that, they simply die. I count the number of successfull connects and end up with ~ 80 - 100. All other threads get a connection timeout. I run the server on a P4, 2.8 GHz and 1g of ram as minimum and maximum heap size, and the clients on a slightly slower machine. I also played with jnp.timeout and jnp.sotimeout in the props for the context, but it did not help. To be honest, I did not notice any difference when providing different values for this properties.

In a next step, I bound a simple String to the JNDI tree at server startup and looked up this String, just to be sure it is not an JMS issue. Same behaviour. Can someone give me a hint why only 100 clients can connect and what causes this behaviour?

Here is the stacktrace the clients get:
      javax.naming.CommunicationException: Receive timed out [Root exception is java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Receive timed out]
      at org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContext.discoverServer(NamingContext.java:1115)
      at org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContext.checkRef(NamingContext.java:1192)
      at org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:514)
      at org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:507)
      at javax.naming.InitialContext.lookup(InitialContext.java:347)
      at org.jeremi.j2.prototype.jk.client.JndiStressTest$JndiLookup.run(JndiStressTest.java:65)

Thanks very much,

Jochen