8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2009 12:42 PM by ohad redlich

Non-proprietary connection to JBoss JMX MBeanServer

Ronald Rudy Newbie

The RMI Adaptor gives access to the JBoss JMX MBeanServer, but is there a non-proprietary way I can directly access the server? I'm writing a client application to access my managed beans, and I don't want to tie it directly to JBoss in case we switch to another app server in production. Previously I've done this by creating a JMXServiceURL, then getting a JMXConnector and finally getting the direct connection to the MBeanServer from the connector.

I've tried to connect by building a JNDI connector URL (used in the JMXServiceURL) like this: service:jmx:rmi://localhost/jndi/jmx/rmi/RMIAdaptor

But this just returns the RMIAdaptor object, so I get a ClassCastException because it's looking for an implementation of the Server - not the proprietary JBoss adaptor. I've not found anything online, so this is my last ditch effort before I have to change my design to designate specific implementations of an MBeanServerAccessor or something.

• 1. Re: Non-proprietary connection to JBoss JMX MBeanServer
          Elias Ross Master

Look on the Wiki. You can get a javax.management.MBeanServer which wraps the calls to the RMI adaptor.

• 2. Re: Non-proprietary connection to JBoss JMX MBeanServer
            Ronald Rudy Newbie

Yeah but I still need to use propriety code. I can't just gain a connection to a JBoss MBeanServer using a JMXConnector (which would require a JMXConnectorServer to be running somewhere).

What I've started to try and do now is creating a JBoss-specific MBean that is a JMXConnectorServer essentially. I'd like to use the jmxmp protocol, but it doesn't seem that JBoss supports this.

It seems like JBoss doesn't make it very easy to get a connection to their MBeanServer without using any of their code or libs. I don't want to be tied to JBoss though.

• 3. Re: Non-proprietary connection to JBoss JMX MBeanServer
              Ronald Rudy Newbie

I've actually found a way to do it. I extended the org.jboss.system.ServiceMBeanSupport class and in it I created a JMXConnectorServer. I used the JMXMP protocol, and it was failing before not because JBoss doesn't support it, but because I need to include the jmxremote_optional.jar file in my deployment lib directory.

Now I can create a JMXConnector object to connect directly to the JMXConnectorMBean, which will give me non-proprietary remote access to my MBeans on the MBeanServer.

• 4. Re: Non-proprietary connection to JBoss JMX MBeanServer
                Raja Master

You could use the HTTPAdaptor as well. You probably need to tweak ur url to pass in arguments and stuff but thats definitely a workable solution.
                Whatever u view through the jmx-console uses the HTTPAdaptor to do its work.

• 5. Re: Non-proprietary connection to JBoss JMX MBeanServer
                  Ronald Rudy Newbie

I could use the HTTPAdaptor, but it would only work for JBoss. I wanted to use a method that's not proprietary to any particular appserver. Creating a JMXConnectorServer and running it as a bean still requires some JBoss specific implementation, but it still provides a design for allowing remote management of MBeans by providing a generic, non-proprietary connection to the MBeanServer.

• 6. Re: Non-proprietary connection to JBoss JMX MBeanServer
                    Holger Engels Newbie

Could you please send me your code? I tried to do the same, but I keep getting ClassCastExceptions during:

JMXConnector connector = JMXConnectorFactory.connect(url);

This is my binding code:

JMXServiceURL url = new JMXServiceURL("rmi", null, 0);
                     connectorServer = JMXConnectorServerFactory.newJMXConnectorServer(url, null, getServer());
                     connectorServer.start();
                     bind(jndiName, connectorServer.toJMXConnector(null));

JndiView shows:

+- JMXConnectorServer (class: javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnector)

The exception:

java.lang.ClassCastException
                    org.concern.ControllerException: java.lang.ClassCastException
                     at org.concern.j2ee.client.JMXConnector.connect(JMXConnector.java:43)
                     at org.concern.j2ee.client.commandline.Concern.getController(Concern.java:80)
                     at org.concern.j2ee.client.commandline.Concern.main(Concern.java:53)
                    Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException
                     at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnector.narrowJRMPServer(RMIConnector.java:1818)
                     at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnector.findRMIServerJNDI(RMIConnector.java:1813)
                     at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnector.findRMIServer(RMIConnector.java:1777)
                     at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnector.connect(RMIConnector.java:259)
                     at javax.management.remote.JMXConnectorFactory.connect(JMXConnectorFactory.java:248)
                     at javax.management.remote.JMXConnectorFactory.connect(JMXConnectorFactory.java:207)
                     at org.concern.j2ee.client.JMXConnector.connect(JMXConnector.java:36)
                     ... 2 more

thanks in advance,

Holger

• 7. Re: Non-proprietary connection to JBoss JMX MBeanServer
                      Holger Engels Newbie

"hengels" wrote:
                      This is my binding code:
                       JMXServiceURL url = new JMXServiceURL("rmi", null, 0);
                       connectorServer = JMXConnectorServerFactory.newJMXConnectorServer(url, null, getServer());
                       connectorServer.start();
                       bind(jndiName, connectorServer.toJMXConnector(null));

Found out myself. The binding was wrong. Don't put the jmx connector into jndi but the javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIServer:

JMXServiceURL url = new JMXServiceURL("service:jmx:rmi:///jndi/JMXConnectorServer");
                       connectorServer.start();

• 8. Re: Non-proprietary connection to JBoss JMX MBeanServer
                        ohad redlich Newbie

hi
                        did u get the code? i am interested as well...
                        im trying to do the same...
                        btw - onchalant - how did u handle WebSphere?

thanks
                        ohad