1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 12, 2005 10:23 PM by genman

securing mbean access...

mlybarger

we're looking to secure access to the core jboss mbeans (and possibly other aspects of the system). specifically, we want to prevent "rogue" access to shutting down the jboss server instance. i believe in the default configuration, once a server has been started, that any user on the network, can issue the shutdown command to the server via the remote mbean interfaces with code such as:

ctx = new InitialContext();

MBeanServerConnection server = (MBeanServerConnection) ctx.lookup("jmx/invoker/RMIAdaptor");
       String [] outval = null;
       server.invoke(new ObjectName("jboss.system:type=Server"), "shutdown", new Object[0], outval);

where the jndi.properties file gets an ic from the remote host.

so, 1, is there a way to secure the remote mbean access? (by default on SuSE linux, it appeared fairly secure as they seem to use 127.0.0.2 for the loopback device which caused trouble issuing the shutdown, is this secure enough?)
      and 2, can i just turn off remote access to the jndi access and only allow that to communicate on the localhost?

any thoughts/help would be most appreciated. we've seen instances in the jboss logs where the server would just go down cleanly, and we can't see where the shutdown command originated from. we'd like to rule out the possibility of someone blindly shutting down the servers.

thanks!
      ~mark

• 1. Re: securing mbean access...
          genman

You can password protect the JNDI. I don't know offhand how to protect a single entry versus just the whole thing, check out the security forum.

As for the console, you can PW protect it or remove it.