4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2006 1:25 AM by pilhuhn

jboss.ejb:service=EJBDeployer

In the top of the HTML Adaptor view of the webpage for the jboss.ejb:service=EJBDeployer MBean, I see the following title:

MBean Java Class: org.jboss.mx.modelmbean.XMBean

Where is reference to this file made in the corresponding ejb-deployer.xml file in the deploy directory? (Where is JBoss getting org.jboss.mx.modelmbean.XMBean from?)

My second question is what is how can I tell which -deployer.xml files are related to which deployed MBeans, apart from guessing? In this case, I figured that ejb-deployer.xml is the XML file for jboss.ejb:service=EJBDeployer, but how could I know this apart from making the guess? (Is there another mapping file, or a mapping element I'm not seeing in the XML file?)

Please clear up my confusion. Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: jboss.ejb:service=EJBDeployer

For my second question I mean:

How can you find the XML file from the MBean description? (Because I know the XML file has the MBean name)

• 2. Re: jboss.ejb:service=EJBDeployer
            peterj

Look at mbean jboss.system:service=MainDeployer. It has a listDeployed method. In jmx-console, if you click Invoke on that method you get back a lot of information. Of each comma-separated entry, the 'watch' attribute indentifies the file, and the 'mbeans' attribute lists the mbeans (if any).

• 3. Re: jboss.ejb:service=EJBDeployer

Thanks for pointing me to that MBean.

I have a general question about the MBeans that come standard with JBoss: How is one to know which MBean does what? Is there some kind of documentation that says what the important MBeans are and what their operations do (such as MainDeployer that you pointed me to)?

Or are we just supposed to figure them out one by one as the need arises?

I would imagine (and hope) that there's documentation around this somewhere...am I right or wrong on this?

Thanks.

• 4. Re: jboss.ejb:service=EJBDeployer
                pilhuhn

Deployers are there to deploy specific kinds of services, not necessarily related to MBeans.
                Most of them are surely documented at the JBoss documentation page at http://labs.jboss.com/portal/jbossas/docs.

XMBeans are a special JBossian implementation of Dynamic MBeans.
                XMBeans always have a special XMBean-Descriptor, which can be inline in the MBean desciptor or in a separate file.
                Example:

<mbean code="org.jboss.logging.Log4jService"
                 name="jboss.system:type=Log4jService,service=Logging"
                 xmbean-dd="resource:xmdesc/Log4jService-xmbean.xml">

With the additional attribute of xmbean-dd being present denominates the MBean as XMBean. As its value is not empty, the Descriptor is in the URL pointed to by the value. If it were empty, the XMBean-DD would be inline.

--
                Heiko W. Rupp <hrupp@jboss.com>