0 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2008 6:16 AM by deadwood

Twiddle SocketTimeoutException

deadwood

Hello,

I apologize if I picked the wrong section or forum.

I am just a JBoss plagued sysadmin who isn't into Java or JBoss.
      So I don't even know the JBoss elementary basics.
      I simply need to monitor those Jbosses that my HP-UX ServiceGuard cluster nodes host as packages.
      To this end I urge to script a Nagios or Munin plugin to simply monitor our jbosses and fetch thread counts and memory usage etc.
      First I tried the JMX URI as I did in my plugins that monitor our Tomcats.
      But except for the jmx-console where a logged-in admin could watch and change config parameters what isn't the aim of my monitoring plugin, I haven't found anything suitable to parse.
      Then I somehow discovered that Twiddle script which looked like a simple wrapper to invoke a Java method to possibly get some basic performance data dumped.
      I checked its contents, especially the environment settings, for proper classpaths and jar files etc and presence of the latter on the cluster nodes.
      According to the path name we run JBoss 4.0.2 instances.
      I have no idea if these are still supported or remotely up to date.
      The OS is HP-UX B.11.11
      When I invoke the twiddle.sh with a get call after a few seconds
      (probably the default timeout) I get the below dumped exception thrown.
      Not being a Java hacker I hope my interpretation of the call trace is correct
      in that the connect to a socket (is it a Unix domain socket, as this was run on localhost, or INET?) simply timed out.
      Looks to me as if this interface hasn't been configured yet.
      Could you please tell me where and what to configure to make the twiddle command successfully connect and communicate with the JBoss server?

Regards

# JAVA_HOME=/opt/java1.5 ./twiddle.sh get jboss.system:type=ServerInfo
      11:29:28,780 ERROR [Twiddle] Exec failed
      org.jboss.util.NestedRuntimeException: Receive timed out; - nested throwable: (javax.naming.CommunicationException: Receive timed out [Root exception is java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Receive timed out])
       at org.jboss.console.twiddle.Twiddle$1.getServer(Twiddle.java:137)
       at org.jboss.console.twiddle.command.MBeanServerCommand.getMBeanServer(MBeanServerCommand.java:47)
       at org.jboss.console.twiddle.command.GetCommand.execute(GetCommand.java:137)
       at org.jboss.console.twiddle.Twiddle.main(Twiddle.java:293)
      Caused by: javax.naming.CommunicationException: Receive timed out [Root exception is java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Receive timed out]
       at org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContext.discoverServer(NamingContext.java:1302)
       at org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContext.checkRef(NamingContext.java:1382)
       at org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:579)
       at org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:572)
       at javax.naming.InitialContext.lookup(InitialContext.java:351)
       at org.jboss.console.twiddle.Twiddle.createMBeanServerConnection(Twiddle.java:244)
       at org.jboss.console.twiddle.Twiddle.connect(Twiddle.java:262)
       at org.jboss.console.twiddle.Twiddle.access$300(Twiddle.java:56)
       at org.jboss.console.twiddle.Twiddle$1.getServer(Twiddle.java:133)
       ... 3 more
      Caused by: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Receive timed out
       at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.receive0(Native Method)
       at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.receive(PlainDatagramSocketImpl.java:136)
       at java.net.DatagramSocket.receive(DatagramSocket.java:729)
       at org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContext.discoverServer(NamingContext.java:1272)
       ... 11 more