5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2011 4:06 PM by jboss4bala

server.log stops getting updated after a while

rixc

Hi all,

We are experiencing the above problem continously and it is a major nuisance as the server on which Jboss runs is not close by.

After a while running (it is random) jboss stops updating the server.log file and just updates the java console. The only was to get it to update the server.log again is to restart it.

Has anyone else had this problem? And also has anyone found a workaround.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ricardo Coutinho

• 1. server.log stops getting updated after a while
          jboss4bala

Hi there,

I've also been facing the same problem. After a fresh restart, it logs and updates for sometime and then it goes off. I would have to restart again or do touch of log4j.xml file. You said its updating the console but console logs are not that useful.

If you get to know the solution, please update as well. I'll let you know if i come to know the solution.

Regards,

Balaji

• 2. server.log stops getting updated after a while
            peterj

Balaji, welcome to the forums! But I doubt that Ricardo is still interested in this after 10 years. It might have been better if you started a new thread. Anyway, is your server log configured to be a rotating file appender by any chance?

• 3. server.log stops getting updated after a while
              jboss4bala

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply. Yes my server log configured to rotating size based file appender. We use jboss 4.2.2 version for deplyoing my app.

As i told you earlier, after a while it stops logging. and it wont update the server.log untl i restart the server.

thanks,

balaji

• 4. Re: server.log stops getting updated after a while
                peterj

How are you determining that logging output stops? Be very specific!

What OS and JVM are you running?

• 5. server.log stops getting updated after a while
                  jboss4bala

We have enabled JbossAuthenticator, say it logs info like who logged in and logged out. Now the scenario is, whenever i restart and i manually login to the application to check how it logs, I could see my userId gets printed and say when i logout from the application, it prints then also. But when i immediatly login again with same user/other user, it doesnt logs anything. And say if any issue comes, we are not able to track the issue as we dont have logs in the server.log.

We have enabled an application specific class in jboss-log4j.xml as well. But all it logs for some time after restart and it just simple goes off - means not updating( or logging ) the server.log.

We just want atleast authentication information to be logged in server.logs but even that is not happening.

We are using Redhat Linux , jdk 1.5.