9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2004 7:43 PM by katazan

IntelliJ, Jboss and remote debugging

gary.udstrand

I am trying to start JBoss with remote debugging enabled. IntelliJ gives the following settings to start the JVM :

-Xdebug -Xnoagent -Djava.compiler=NONE -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=5000

When I attempt to start Jboss using those command line parms I get the following error :

Transport dt_socket failed to initialize, rc = 509.
      FATAL ERROR in native method: No transports initialized

Any ideas?

Thanks
      -Gary

• 1. Re: IntelliJ, Jboss and remote debugging
          innovatis

Hi Gary
          I have exactly the same problem.
          Did you find a solution?

I look forward hearing from you soon.

Regards,
          Carlo

• 2. Ack!  We all appear to be having the same issue...
            katazan

I'm having the same problem. I'm using IDEA (IntelliJ is the company - and YES, they do make the best IDE on the market). Debugging works great with Weblogic, Websmere, and any other remote java process I invoke. I'm having a problem with JBoss, however, and it's exactly as described above.

I've searched google, sun, bea, and oracle sites, but to no avail. Please email me if you find the solution. Looks like it's Sys.out for me tonight!

:op

• 3. Re: Ack!  We all appear to be having the same issue...
              minamoto

I'm using JBoss 3.0.2 with IDEA 3.0 (build 648).
              I have no problem when I run JBoss with following parameters

set JAVA_OPTS=-classic -Xdebug -Xnoagent -Djava.compiler=NONE -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=8787,server=y,suspend=y %JAVA_OPTS%

This setting is already in the run.bat but commented out.

On IDEA side, I only changed port number from 5000 to 8787.

Are you guys using JBoss 2.x?

Miki

• 4. Re: Ack!  We all appear to be having the same issue...
                arabin

I am using the following parameters in my run.bat

set JAVA_OPTS=-Xdebug -Xnoagent -Djava.compiler=NONE -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=8787 %JAVA_OPTS%

And I am using inside IntelliJ the following -

-Xdebug -Xnoagent -Djava.compiler=NONE -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=8787

It does not attach. At lease I do not see it stopping at breakpoints.

If instead I start it in the .bat file with suspend=y parameter, it does not proceed in the console window, just hangs.

Is anything wrong?

• 5. Re: Ack!  We all appear to be having the same issue...
                  arabin

It does not stop either on my startup class (mentioned in user-service.xml), or in my MBean methods (which are called from startupl class visa invoke)

• 6. Re: Ack!  We all appear to be having the same issue...
                    arabin

ItelliJ sais:
                    "Connecting to the target VM at 'localhost:8787' using socket transport"

Does that mean it has been connected?
                    Or does that mean it is trying to connect? I am using IntelliJ 3.0.5

Does that actually matter that I built my project not in IntelliJ, but by ant (through ant build in IntelliJ)?

• 7. Re: Ack!  We all appear to be having the same issue...
                      frito

Yes, if not connected you will see an error msg within an error dialog and in your output window.
                      No matter where you are compiling, you can debug as long as you compiled with debug information.
                      BTW, IntelliJ supports ANT, but it is not really built in, e.g. IntelliJ can't check compiled classes when tracking for "only compiling changed dependent classes" when the classes are compiled with anything different from the IntelliJ javac, even if this is javac in your build.xml .

Greetings,
                      Frito

• 8. Re: Ack!  We all appear to be having the same issue...
                        arabin

Hmmm. I do not see error messages. But it does not stop on breakpoints. I used debug="true" in my ant javac statement.

• 9. Re: Ack!  We all appear to be having the same issue...
                          katazan

"arabin" wrote:
                          Hmmm. I do not see error messages. But it does not stop on breakpoints. I used debug="true" in my ant javac statement.

This is exactly the bug that I am seeing, and has ground my development to a halt. Hopefully, we'll hear something from 'the group' about this issue...

This leads me to believe that it is not a configuration issue with my custom ant scripts (just for building and packaging war/ear/jar files).

Obviously, this is an issue...

Sincerely,

John C. Dale