0 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2002 2:03 PM by danewton

Oracle XA configuration problem

danewton

I have just upgraded from JBoss 2.4.6 to JBoss 3.0.2, as packaged for download, and I am having problems using an oracle XA connection pool.

I am using stateless session beans (1.1) with container managed transactions to make dynamic SQL calls to oracle 9 using the JBoss Oracle XA connection pool. These beans previously worked without any problems in JBoss 2.4.6.

I have configured JBoss 3.0.2 as instructed -- I have the oracle-xa-service.xml file appropriately installed with the correct parameters for our database. I have also added the "Pad" attribute value of "true" to the XidFactory mbean, as directed.

The pool is created without any problems, and single connection transactions are working fine.

I have some instances of multiple selects occurring in the same transaction. Sometimes the 2nd or 3rd retrieval of a connection seems to hang for several tens of seconds. Then I get the following warning:

XAException: tx=XidImpl ... errorCode XA_RETRY

Now, sometimes the selects completes, and sometimes it fails. Either way, when an attempt is made to close the connection, the next warning is:

XAException: tx=XidImpl ... errorCode XAER_RMERR

Once this has happened, it seems to continue to happen when attempting to make the same query. Also, there seems to be some inserts, updates, and deletes that never commit, without any error messages.

The resultSet, statement, and connections used in the application are always properly closed (except obviously when the above error happens on a connection close).

It seems that somehow the use of multiple connections in the same transaction is the root cause, but I am hoping someone else sees something familiar about these problems.

-Doug Newton
      dnewton@tech-partners.com