3 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2003 12:11 PM by jonlee

[b]XML Parser files[/b]

tara

Hi,

1) I am using "jboss-3.0.4_tomcat-4.1.12" (production server) . Where I should keep xalan.jar, xml-apis.jar, xerces.jar

Should I use these versions OR

xalan-2.3.1.jar, xercesImpl-2.0.1.jar, xml-apis.jar ?

I tried keeping both versions of jar files under tomcat / common / lib ---- I am getting

javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactoryConfigurationError: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.xalan.processor.TransformerFactoryImpl

2) We are having a stagein server JBoss-2.4.3_Tomcat-3.2.3 . In this also same problem

Please help me in solving this issue.

Thanks a lot
      Tara

• 1. Re: [b]XML Parser files[/b]
          jonlee

It's not apparent what has led to this problem - i.e. what you are trying to do - so it is a little hard to provide recommendations.

Under the 3.x JBoss-Tomcat bundles (with Tomcat embedded in the JBoss instance as a SAR deployment), you start the server with the run.sh/run.bat scripts. Running these without arguments will start the default instance of the server. Otherwise, specify the instance to run - e.g. "./run.sh all" to run the instance that has all services configured.

The default instance uses both the JBoss kernel libraries at lib as well as the instance libraries at server/default/lib. Check for the existence of xalan, xerces and xml-apis in these directories first. If they don't exist, and they don't exist under the server/default/deploy/jbossweb-tomcat.sar directory, then place the libraries in the server/default/lib directory. These libraries will only be included in the JBoss runtime environment if you start the "default instance".

Someone else might be able to help with the 3.2.3 Tomcat. I vaguely remember reading about a Xalan problem with Tomcat 3.2.3 but I can't remember what was the exact nature or the fix.

• 2. Re: [b]XML Parser files[/b]
            tara

Hi Jonlee,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I was trying to apply server side transformation and convert XML to HTML.

in 3.x JBoss - Tomcat bundle, the jar files xalan, xerces, etc are getting recognised now when I kept them under tomcat / common / lib.

But it is not taking "bsf.jar" which is also under tomcat / common / lib.

I will try to follow the steps you mentioned.

In case if it is different location for "bsf.jar & & js.jar" please let me know.

Thanks
            Tara

• 3. Re: [b]XML Parser files[/b]
              jonlee

Unless there is a particular reason that you don't expect JBoss (EJB-side) components to ever use the libraries, place them in the JBoss instance lib directories or in the main microkernel lib directory (topmost lib directory in the distribution). However, you are best placed placing most shared libraries in the instance lib directory and leave the microkernel lib as uncluttered as possible. Also, to save memory space and prevent library confusion, always look for existing copies of the libraries in the JBoss distribution.

I can't see a reason that bsf.jar and js.jar should not work in these locations. I do note that the BSF web site mentions that there are some patches required for BSF to work with Tomcat (so that Jasper can call BSF) although I can't see any further mention in relation to this matter. I assume these have been tested with a pure Tomcat 4.1.12 install?

Finally, I did accidently misquote the startup command for the "all" instance. It should be:
              ./run.sh -c all