5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2003 8:14 AM by jonlee

iPlanet Web Server integration with JBoss3.x.x

venkatrao

Hi,

We are developing a web-based application which uses iPlanet Web Server. We want to use JBoss3.x.x as the Application Server. Before buying JBoss documentation, I want to know, is it possible to integrate iPlanet Web Server4.x with JBoss3.x.x?

Thanks in advance,
      Venkat

• 1. Re: iPlanet Web Server integration with JBoss3.x.x

What does "integration" mean in this case? iPlanet supports MOD_JK right?

• 2. Re: iPlanet Web Server integration with JBoss3.x.x
            ggopal

I would like to know the solution myself. I am using iplanet web server to server jsp's & servlet and I would like to use just the jndi & connection pool features of jboss 3.2.1.

Please let me know the necessary steps to the solution.

Thanks,
            Gopal

• 3. Re: iPlanet Web Server integration with JBoss3.x.x
              jonlee

You will not be able to use the connection pool in JBoss directly from iPlanet as to do so, the iPlanet runtime instance would need to be operating in the same JVM instance as JBoss. See these threads for further information on connection pool restrictions.

http://www.jboss.org/modules/bb/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t= you wish to use the JNDI for binding your own information to it, you would be required to operate the bindings from the JBoss JVM through your own MBean code. Your access to the JNDI objects from iPlanet would require that you use the JBoss interfaces, and the connection and search is covered in all JBoss tutorial materials. JNDI restrictions will apply so you will need to read up on JNDI operation before commencing.

I suspect that if you are intending to use connection pools and JNDI directly from iPlanet, then you should look at locally implemented packages in iPlanet.

• 4. Re: iPlanet Web Server integration with JBoss3.x.x
                ggopal

Thanks jonlee.

Is there a way in which I can use the existing iplanet web server instead of Tomcat?

maybe start the iplanet virtual server instance from jboss and use jboss as the app server ....

maybe it is not possible, byt, I am grasping for straws here ...

-- Gopal

• 5. Re: iPlanet Web Server integration with JBoss3.x.x
                  jonlee

You can treat the JBoss app server like a separate EJB container in which your JSPs and servlets are clients to the JBoss EJBs.

It might be possible to start iPlanet from JBoss if it was a pure Java application. You would bind the service in place with a SAR deployment file as is done with Jetty/Resin/Tomcat. However, that would be a fair task and would probably require some access to source code. The simplest example of what would be required would be the Jetty source modifications.

Hope that helps.