6 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2003 3:19 PM by jecardenas

jboss 3.0.6 on RedHat 6.2

jecardenas

I have my jboss server on linux Red Hat 6.2. When I init the jboss server it uses many java machines, around of 45. If I init more than one jboss server (different ports) my server linux has many processes and this works slowly.

I have another linux server for testing. It uses Red Hat 8.0 and when I init the jboss server it only uses 2 java machines.

For both cases I have installed JDK 1.4.

How can I reduce the number of java machines for jboss server(on Red Hat 6.2)?

This problem, Can be a dependency of my Red Hat version???

Please Help,

Thanks a lot!!

Jk

• 1. Re: jboss 3.0.6 on RedHat 6.2
          jonlee

See this thread:

http://www.jboss.org/modules/bb/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t= Linux will show a thread as a process in it's own right. pstree shows the actual parent process and the child processes. So your 45 processes are actually one real process with multiple threads (marked as children) - note that they all have the same RSS if you "ps aux".

They may have altered ps in RedHat 8.0 to only show the parent.

• 2. Re: jboss 3.0.6 on RedHat 6.2
            jonlee

To confirm:
            RedHat 8.0 has a patched procps 2.0.7 that shows only processes, not threads. procps 2.0.10 (general release) also incorporates same. -m in ps and H key in top shows threads with the 2.0.10 release.

• 3. Re: jboss 3.0.6 on RedHat 6.2
              jecardenas

Thank you jonlee.

I didn't know this reason. Now I understand because happens it.

• 4. Re: jboss 3.0.6 on RedHat 6.2
                jecardenas

One more question jonlee.

When I do shutdown to jboss server and after I do ps -fe, it shows me a list with some java machines as zombie processes. Why happens it?

I do correctly shutdown with:

shutdown.sh server port

Could be that the shutdown script doesn't close all threads??

Thank you a lot!!!

• 5. Re: jboss 3.0.6 on RedHat 6.2
                  jonlee

There shouldn't be any zombie processes after a shutdown. However, it may be a while before all threads get cleaned up. The script will most likely return before the JBoss server processes themselves are shutdown. If you ps just after the script returns, you will most likely see some zombies as the server is still in the process of shutting down. Give it time and they should all disappear. If they don't, then you might have some problems.

• 6. Re: jboss 3.0.6 on RedHat 6.2
                    jecardenas

I agree with you, all server processes should be shutdown when I run the script.

I will do new tests to found possible problems in my application.

Thank you for your help.

Jk