do u have a xalan jar somewhere in your classpath, maybe under JAVA_HOME/jre/ext/lib? my guess is that its conflicting with the one thats built within JBoss.
Try removing any external jars in ur java_home/jre/ext
Thanks for the reply raja05, I checked for a xalan.jar file and it is not in my jdk or jre. I do have a couple instances of it on my system, but they are not located in the classpath.
In my opinion, its at least one of the following cases:
1. There is an old verison of xalan jar in your class path when you start Jboss, either from environment-classpath or in the extensions (ext) folder of Java SDK/JRE.
2. There are other xml apis which are in your classpath conflicting with Xalan. Are there any versions of Xerces, XercesImpl, XML-API jar in your env variables.
3. There is more than one version of Xalan jar in your jboss_home/server/default/lib folder. Did you happen to append new XML apis in this folder which are creating the conflict.
4. Xalan.jar has been accidently deleted from your jboss_home/server/default/lib folder.
Hope it answers your question,
I do have multiple instances of xalan.jar on my system for various java programs (netbeans, jdeveloper) so I have removed/unistalled all my java apps includeing the jdk and then reinstalled the jdk and jboss. SUCCESS so I am now in the process of reinstalling all my other java programs and I will post for future reference which one seems to be the problem.
Thanks all for the help
OK I found the problem application... JDeveloper!!!!
The problem occurs iff one chooses to install the OJVM. To coorect the issue one must edit the jvm.conf file in jre/lib/i386. One must move the following lines to the end of the file: