8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2004 4:26 AM by darranl

Running JBoss?!

triple_x

Hi,
      I've recently started learning J2EE, and VERY recently been introduced to JBoss (using JBoss 3.0.4 on Windows XP at school)... I've downloaded the JBoss 3.2.3 and since I didn't wanna mess up my XP, I've downloaded the Windows Server 2003 trial and made a separate partition for it...
      Since then I've "installed" JBoss (if I can call unziping binaries that), made adjustments to path enteries, done all I was though to make JBoss usable... All by the book, but I've noticed something very strange...
      Running the "default" JBoss in Win2003 gives me a lot (really a lot of) exceptions, but running the same in WinXP works without a single exception (Yes I've made the needed path adjustments in both OS's exactly the same)...
      Think that's strange, well not as strange as running the "all" JBoss works also without even one exception... Takes twice as much time to start, but NO exceptions...
      Anybody knows the reason why, please tell me...
      TIA

P.S.
      I'm using Sun's Java SDK 1.4.2...

• 1. Re: Running JBoss?!
          darranl

What are the exceptions?

• 2. Re: Running JBoss?!
            triple_x

Sorry it took me so long to reply...
            All exceptions are related to services that can't be deployed, like HTTPInvoker service and simmilar others...
            All exception start (or should I say, are caused) by an error that's caused by the getLocalHost() method!? I'm using Sun's JVM version 1.4.2_02 (not so sure about the _02, think it is, I'm to lazy to check, I'm sure about 1.4.2 part)....
            Here's a start of one of the MANY, many exceptions:

16:41:12,149 ERROR [OILServerILService] Starting failed java.net.UnknownHostException: server: server
            at java.net.InetAddress.getLocalHost(InetAddress.java:1191)
            at org.jboss.mq.il.oil.OILServerILService.startService(OILServerILService.java:595)

TIA, help I u can...

• 3. Re: Running JBoss?!
              triple_x

Forgot to say this, the "server" in the exceptio bellow is the computer name I choose during the installation of Windows Server 2003...

16:41:12,149 ERROR [OILServerILService] Starting failed
               java.net.UnknownHostException: server: server

• 4. Re: Running JBoss?!
                triple_x

I should also say that the "ALL" JBoss configuration started with no exceptions ONLY the first time, now no matter what config I use I get same exceptions in WIN2K3 and not one in WINXP?!

Excuse the typos...

• 5. Re: Running JBoss?!
                  triple_x

"triple_X" wrote:
                  I see I probably won't get an answer to my question... Guess it's because people here don't like MS... Think there is a lot of reason to do that, but still, one should respect the place they are at currently (even if I don't respect the way they got there)...
                  I'll still run this thing by you, I've discovered what was the reason the "ALL" configuration worked for me that one time... It's beacuse I was at the time connected to the internet, and had an IP address... Now does that mean that getLocalHost will only return a real IP address when I'm connected to the internet (when my ISP assigns me one) and will get the computer name (symbolic name) returned when I'm not..

• 6. Re: Running JBoss?!
                    jackieatcp

I too have been getting the huge dump when trying to start JBOSS recently, but i have been trying to do this on XP where it sounds like that is the only place that you have been able to get it to work. I was thinking it might be a port issue and have tried to issue command "netstat -a" to see what ports are listening but XP dos does not allow this.

Have you had any luck?

• 7. Re: Running JBoss?!
                      triple_x

None so far...
                      Except the fact that I noticed JBoss will work if I'm connected to the net and have a public IP, nothing else will work...
                      I guess this all comes (my problem at least, dunno about the exceptions you've been getting) down to resolving the "localhost" name, what's the service Win2k3 is using so that when I'm not connected to the net it returns a sybolic computer name, I honestly dunno....

P.S.
                      This is to the ppl administrating JBoss.org's forum, why did u leave out editing (and deleting) your own messages, this topic is way too big now...

• 8. Re: Running JBoss?!
                        darranl

This topic is tiny compared to some others.

Also if messages are going to be deleted how can people follow what is being discussed?