Sorry, I didn't state my configuration.
I have this problem in Jboss 3.2.2 and 3.2.3 using the embedded tomcat.
Once again, I've missed some detail. This classloading issue was repeatable on1. Jboss 3.2.2 and Jboss 3.2.3 on Redhat Linux 7.2 with J2SDK 1.4.1_05
2. Jboss 3.2.3 on Windows 2K with 1.4.2
PROBLEM SOLVED at least for the time being
We had a utility jar in our server's lib/ directory. The utility jar containted some common infastructure for accessing Hibernate. We moved the utility jar out of the server lib and packaged it in each of our wars. We also had an ejb client jar that needed to be moved into the wars. After making these package changes and setting UseJBossWebLoader to "false" each webapp runs independently without errors.