3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2004 2:44 PM by littlealien

Apache/JBoss at Linux Boot

scsosna

I am running Mandrake9, JDK1.4,JBoss 3.2.1, and Apache 2.0.43.

I want to start up JBoss when the machine boots. It usually takes about 3 minutes for JBoss to completely come up. However, if I start Apache prior to JBoss being booted, it doesn't seem like they work together. If, however, I start Apache AFTER JBoss has booted, everything works like a champ.

The only thing I can see is start JBoss and sleep for 3 minutes before letting the boot proceed. Has anyone else seen this behavior? Does anyone have a working production install that addresses these problems?

Thanks!
      -scs

• 1. Re: Apache/JBoss at Linux Boot

Get more RAM, CPU and faster disk.

It takes 20 seconds on my P4 2.8GHz with 2G of RAM and IDE disk. I have seen it take much less time to start on much bigger machines.

The biggest requirement for JBoss is RAM. Don't bother running it on anything less than 512MB.

• 2. Re: Apache/JBoss at Linux Boot
            acoliver

less than 512MB?? You must be joking. With no cache and light usage JBoss runs happily in the default 64mb heap. Of course if you want to cache then that is another story.

I've drafted some instructions here: http://jboss.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=StartJBossOnBootWithLinux

How have you connected Jboss->Apache? does your server.log look normal? Any strange messages in /var/log/messages? Anything strange when you run "top"?

• 3. Re: Apache/JBoss at Linux Boot

Definitely not joking. The smallest memory footprint I have seen from JBoss is about 300MB. Yes I could cut this down by disabling caching and limiting useage, but hey, this is the real world. To run real applications and deliver a useable level of performance requires a bit of caching.