6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2004 6:03 PM by dgbuss

JBoss3.2.3 error when using Xalan 2.6 and Sun VM 1.4.2_04.

jhallavnet

I'm pretty sure this is a Sun VM problem, because I can't reproduce it with j2sdk1.4.2_03, but I don't have enough information to submit a bug report to Sun.

If I use Xalan 2.6 by overriding (endorsed directory) the default VM classes I get a JBoss error.

Any ideas why it can't access jboss.server.data.dir? Any suggestions or details on the access of jboss.server.data.dir would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the stack trace:

2004-03-22 10:26:38,232 ERROR [org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer] Could not initialise deloyment: file:/C:/jboss-3.2.3/server/default/deploy/hsqldb-ds.xml
      org.jboss.deployment.DeploymentException: exception in init of file:/C:/jboss-3.2.3/server/default/deploy/hsqldb-ds.xml; - nested throwable: (java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The value of param jboss.server.data.dir must be a valid Java Object)
      at org.jboss.deployment.DeploymentException.rethrowAsDeploymentException(DeploymentException.java:39)
      at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.init(MainDeployer.java:722)
      at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.deploy(MainDeployer.java:632)
      at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.deploy(MainDeployer.java:605)
      at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
      at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
      at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
      at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
      at org.jboss.mx.capability.ReflectedMBeanDispatcher.invoke(ReflectedMBeanDispatcher.java:284)
      at org.jboss.mx.server.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:546)
      at org.jboss.mx.util.MBeanProxyExt.invoke(MBeanProxyExt.java:177)
      at $Proxy6.deploy(Unknown Source)
      at org.jboss.deployment.scanner.URLDeploymentScanner.deploy(URLDeploymentScanner.java:302)
      at org.jboss.deployment.scanner.URLDeploymentScanner.scan(URLDeploymentScanner.java:476)
      at org.jboss.deployment.scanner.AbstractDeploymentScanner$ScannerThread.doScan(AbstractDeploymentScanner.java:201)
      at org.jboss.deployment.scanner.AbstractDeploymentScanner.startService(AbstractDeploymentScanner.java:274)
      at org.jboss.system.ServiceMBeanSupport.start(ServiceMBeanSupport.java:192)
      at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor4.invoke(Unknown Source)
      at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
      at org.jboss.mx.capability.ReflectedMBeanDispatcher.invoke(ReflectedMBeanDispatcher.java:284)
      at org.jboss.system.ServiceController$ServiceProxy.invoke(ServiceController.java:976)
      at $Proxy0.start(Unknown Source)
      at org.jboss.system.ServiceController.start(ServiceController.java:394)
      at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor5.invoke(Unknown Source)
      at $Proxy4.start(Unknown Source)
      at org.jboss.deployment.SARDeployer.start(SARDeployer.java:226)
      at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.start(MainDeployer.java:832)
      at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.deploy(MainDeployer.java:642)
      at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.deploy(MainDeployer.java:605)
      at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.deploy(MainDeployer.java:589)
      at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
      at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
      at $Proxy5.deploy(Unknown Source)
      at org.jboss.system.server.ServerImpl.doStart(ServerImpl.java:384)
      at org.jboss.system.server.ServerImpl.start(ServerImpl.java:291)
      at org.jboss.Main.boot(Main.java:150)
      at org.jboss.Main$1.run(Main.java:395)
      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)
      Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The value of param jboss.server.data.dir must be a valid Java Object
      at org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.setParameter(TransformerImpl.java:1496)
      at org.jboss.deployment.XSLSubDeployer.setParameters(XSLSubDeployer.java:241)
      at org.jboss.deployment.XSLSubDeployer.init(XSLSubDeployer.java:199)
      at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.init(MainDeployer.java:696)
      ... 48 more

Thanks,

Joe Hall

• 1. Re: JBoss3.2.3 error when using Xalan 2.6 and Sun VM 1.4.2_0
          jhallavnet

It turns out this was an issue with the 1.4.2_03 vm... I had the wrong jar in it's build.

This is related to other posts here and I found the answer through them.
          Sorry for the erroneous post.

The fix from another thread:

Isolate your application's classloaders from the system with <loader-repository> tag.

• 2. Re: JBoss3.2.3 error when using Xalan 2.6 and Sun VM 1.4.2_0
            jhallavnet

Well, loader-repository causes other problems (ClassCastExceptions on the xml-apis when parsing the deployment descriptors).

Is it possible to use a newer version of xalan with JBoss 3.2.3?

http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=33184

From the above link it appears it maybe possible to run a newer version of xalan, but I get another exception (java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.apache.xml.utilsXMLChar.isValidQName()). I think it's because it's loading an old class of xml-apis.jar and the newer xalan requires a new xml-apis.jar. I've copied newer versions of xml-apis.jar, xalan.jar, xercesImpl.jar, and bsf.jar to server/default/lib.

If anyone could point me to some references on how to use JBoss3.2.x with a newer version of xalan it would be much appreciated.

Thanks again,

Joe Hall

• 3. Re: JBoss3.2.3 error when using Xalan 2.6 and Sun VM 1.4.2_0
              wdrai

We had exactly the same problem when switching to Xalan 2.6 and I am almost sure that this is an issue with Xalan which does not seem to accept null values in template parameters (previous versions did).
              When the JBoss XSLSubDeployer tries to transform the xxx-ds.xml by providing a null value for parameter jboss.server.data.dir, Xalan 2.6 throws an exception.
              We have successfully started JBoss by providing a system property -Dboss.server.data.dir=/path/to/server/data. Note that there is also a typo error in the jboss sources and the property has to be named boss.server.data.dir instead of jboss.server.data.dir.

• 4. Re: JBoss3.2.3 error when using Xalan 2.6 and Sun VM 1.4.2_0
                jhallavnet

Thank you so much wdrai. It works like a charm.

Info for anyone interested in getting xalan 2.6 to work on jboss 3.2.3:

Copy xalan.jar, xercesImpl.jar, xml-apis.jar to <JAVA_HOME>/lib/endorsed, and <JAVA_HOME>/jre/lib/endorsed.

Specify the -Dboss.server.data.dir=/path/to/server/data system property in your Jboss startup script.

Thanks again,

Joe Hall

• 5. Re: JBoss3.2.3 error when using Xalan 2.6 and Sun VM 1.4.2_0
                  jhowk

Did you try using JSTL in this configuration?

• 6. Re: JBoss3.2.3 error when using Xalan 2.6 and Sun VM 1.4.2_0
                    dgbuss

I had the same problems using the new Xalan jars.
                    Thanks for posting the solution!