2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2007 3:18 AM by snagit

Using a4j:support event=

snagit

The following code is used to show how many characters have been put into the textarea id: smsTextField:
      <h:outputText id="charsLeft" value="#{backingbean.charCount} characters used" />

<h:inputTextarea id="smsTextField" value="#{SmsSendView.smsText}"
      cols="20" rows="5">
      <a4j:support event="onkeyup" reRender="charsLeft" ajaxSingle="true" ignoreDupResponses="true"/>
      </h:inputTextarea>

The backing bean has an int value that uses a String.length() function to get how many characters have been put in.

I am experiencing very slow response times when using this. Is this a plausible way to use a4j or should I definatly go for including my own javascript for this?

I would rather not include a javascript because I think that clutters up my code.. Are there any ways to improve performance on the feedback here?

• 1. Re: Using a4j:support event=

ignoreDupResponses does not make sense without queue defined (attribute eventsQueue). Also, there is no reason to send so many events to the server when user types. So, having requestDelay (300-800ms) is a right way to go.

ajaxSingle="true" helps you do not send more data to server, however, the whole component tree still will be processed. You can avoid this using a4j:region just around the h:inputTextarea.

Those help you to increase the performance. However, you are absolutely right thinking about pure javascript. Updating counter is just a one line of javascript code. The updating itself does not require to invoke a server-side specific application or business logic. So, using Ajax here is an overhead.

• 2. Re: Using a4j:support event=
            snagit

Thx for a quick and informative reply!