0 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2006 2:22 PM by ocana

Eclipse, JBoss, HotSwap and IBM J9 JVM

ocana

Hello,

Has anyone gotten the class HotSwap feature to work on JBoss using the IBM J9 VM?
      Using the Sun VM one can modify a class in memory when running in debug mode as long as you don't change the "shape" of the class. This works fine for me.
      IBM's J9 goes further and allows you to make changes that modify the shape of the class, like adding a new method.
      However, when I try to HotSwap a class with J9 I encounter the error stack below.

Getting this to work would be a tremendous productivity boon. I could keep the app redeployments to a minimum.

There is a rejected bug entry (JBAS-2780) that points the finger to the VM. It may very well be. Still if you have found a workaround of any sort, please do share.

My configuration:
      JBoss 4.0.3SP1
      IBM JVM 1.5.0
      Eclipse 3.1.0

Thanks,

Marco

02:04:10,212 ERROR [AbstractDeploymentScanner$ScannerThread] Scanning failed; continuing
      java.lang.NullPointerException
      at java.lang.String.endsWith(String.java :494)
      at org.jboss.deployment.DeploymentSorter.getExtensionIndex (DeploymentSorter.java:84)
      at org.jboss.deployment.DeploymentSorter.compare(DeploymentSorter.java:72)
      at java.util.Arrays.mergeSort(Arrays.java:1299)