4 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2006 3:43 AM by dimitris

Netboot feature in JBoss 4.0.4 GA

cboyd

I'm trying to get JBoss 4.0.4 GA to start using netboot. I've read the adminguide.pdf, and it references ant Ant build script src/main/org/jboss/netboot/build-netboot.xml that doesn't seem to exist. The admin guide doesn't go into detail on how to get netboot to work. It does say the the netboot.war should contain the JBOSS_DIST/lib and JBOSS_DIST/server/default files. I found this war in the JBOSS_DIST/docs/examples/netboot directory, and inlcuded these files from the default configuration and copied this war to a new configuration called netboot. When trying to execute the command:

./run.sh --netboot=http://localhost:8080/netboot/

I get the following error:

Failed to boot JBoss:
      java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.jboss.system.server.ServerImpl
       at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:199)
       at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
       at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:187)
       at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:289)
       at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:235)
       at org.jboss.system.server.ServerLoader.createServer(ServerLoader.java:285)
       at org.jboss.system.server.ServerLoader.load(ServerLoader.java:267)
       at org.jboss.Main.boot(Main.java:194)
       at org.jboss.Main$1.run(Main.java:464)
       at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

Could someone please tell me if the netboot feature is still available. I've found a lot of posts on this subject but no replies. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Netboot feature in JBoss 4.0.4 GA
          dimitris

Since it introduces a single point of failure, in practice netboot is not used in most deployments. For some time now, it's not very well supported, either.

• 2. Re: Netboot feature in JBoss 4.0.4 GA
            cboyd

I understand. Although, couldn't you in threory load balance between multiple netboot servers? For example, have two netboot servers load balanced behind a virtual IP address? This is what we were hoping to do here, so if there is a way to get netboot working, I would like to try. We have over 10 servers here, each running two instances of JBoss. We are trying to get away from deploying the code 20 times. It sounds like two load balanced netboot servers would do this for us. Any thoughts?

• 3. Re: Netboot feature in JBoss 4.0.4 GA
              hbaxmann

We have it running here with JB4.0.2 and SVN - subversion - for providing the versioned configs.
              For the emergency fallback there is always a local checkout, the svn working copy, in the local filesystem.

2ct

bax

• 4. Re: Netboot feature in JBoss 4.0.4 GA
                dimitris

This looks like an interesting setup. Why not describing it in a wiki page? :)