3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2006 11:32 AM by peterj

JBOSS behind a firewall

cerezal

Hello,
      My JBOSS server is located on a LAN, behind a router. My appication works fine on the LAN.
      When I run the application from inet, it stucks. Required ports are open.
      A netstat shows that the application is trying to connect to port 1098 but with LAN address, which of course doesn't work.
      I've set, server.name, java.rmi.server.codebase to my external address, java.rmi.server.useLocalHostname to false...
      What do I miss?
      thanks

• 1. Re: JBOSS behind a firewall
          jaikiran
          • 2. Re: JBOSS behind a firewall
            cerezal

Yes, I already configured ports according to that turorial, but my problem looks more like a server name problem that is unproperly set...

• 3. Re: JBOSS behind a firewall
              peterj

It appears that your client is using JNDI to look up something on the server, and JNDI uses ports 1099, 1098, 4444 and 4445. At least, those are the ports I had to open in my firewall to allow outside client access. You will want to either open those ports in the firewall, or assign different ports which are open.

Actually, now that I think about it a little longer, I was also attempting to access MBeans, so some of those ports might be JMX related. I was going to be lazy and not look it up, but curiosity overwhelmed be, so here is what I found:

* 1098 and 1099 are JNDI-related
              * 4444 and 4445 are RMI-related (for accessing JMX, EJBs, etc)

I assume that in your client when you get the base naming context that you are using a url other than http://the-server:1098. I'm not sure how you convince the jbossclient code to use other values for the other ports. (Hmm, sounds like a research topic to me. Or as one of my professors liked to say, the solution is obvious and is left as an exercise for the student. :-))