2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2006 12:57 PM by ruilazaro

Help on different instances of jboss

ruilazaro

Hi,

I´m new to jboss. Started working with it about a month ago. I´m using one of adobe solutions, the livecycle forms, that comes with a jboss 3.2.5 on the default install. I did some research on their forum and didn´t get much help. I need to mantain that installation of jboss without any changes. According to users in the forum ( and some of the support guys too ) it´s not a good idea to mess with the default config. It seems that the product is not 100% stable and has some bugs.

I use netbeans 5.0 to develop some applications (ejb´s and webservices mostly) that later are deployed to a jboss4.0.3.sp1. it works fine. no prob at all. but i need to have the two jboss servers to run at the same time. ( 3.2.5 and 4.0.3.sp1 ). i didn´t want to mess with the 3.2.5 config because it could cause the forms not to work properly. but i couldn´t succed with jboss 3.2.5 and 4.0.3sp1 at the same time. i know that there are some port conflicts, and tried to change the xml files that have the port configs. but didn´t manage to resolve all the conflicts.

I need jboss4.0.3sp1 to run with jdk1.5 .... and 3.2.5 to run with jdk1.4 ... and then to launch the two jboss AS.

does anybody knows what ports/config files i need to change in order to get the two jboss running ? where on jboss 4.0.3.sp1 do i have to change the references from java_home (that points to 1.4jdk) to java_home2 (that points to 1.5jdk) ?

i tried to locate the files and the references to do the changes but didn´t manage to resolve this problem.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Help on different instances of jboss
          jaikiran

To summarize, here's what you are trying to achieve:
          1) Run 2 instances of JBoss on the same machine
          2) Point each instance to use different versions of Java.

Here's how you can do it:

1) To run multiple instances on same machine:
          http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=ConfiguringMultipleJBossInstancesOnOneMachine

2) To set each instance to point to different Java versions:
          Each JBoss will have will be launched using the run.bat file which is present in %JBOSS_HOME%/bin directory. You will have to change this file as follows:

For the JBoss which you want to run with Java 1.5 add JAVA_HOME entry to point to your Java1.5 home:

@echo off
          rem -------------------------------------------------------------------------
          rem JBoss Bootstrap Script for Win32

rem $Id: run.bat,v 1.13.4.3 2006/05/12 10:40:07 dimitris Exp $

set JAVA_HOME="C:/jdk1.5.0_07"

In the other JBoss on which you want to use Java 1.4 change run.bat to:

rem JBoss Bootstrap Script for Win32

rem $Id: run.bat,v 1.4.4.4 2003/11/12 03:16:35 juhalindfors Exp $
          set JAVA_HOME="C:/j2sdk1.4.2_04"

• 2. Re: Help on different instances of jboss
            ruilazaro

hi,

thanks. i managed to resolve the port conflicts. now i have the two instances of jboss running.jboss 3.2.5 running on 8080. jboss4.0.3sp1 running on 8280.

just got one prob. i have a webservice deployed to jboss4.0.3 instance. i can access it. get the wsdl file from http://localhost:8280/wstest/wstest?WSDL. but, in the wsdl, the soap address location is refered as http://localhost:8080/wstest/wstest. do u know why ??

the changes i did from the original install ( following the link u gave me above ) were :

1 - on file C:\jboss-4.0.3SP1\server\default\deploy\binding-service.xml

i uncommented the tag mbean and changed the servername to ports 02 as i copied to here:

ports-02
            ${jboss.home.url}/docs/examples/binding-manager/sample-bindings.xml

org.jboss.services.binding.XMLServicesStoreFactory

2 - after that , i went to C:\jboss-4.0.3SP1\server\default\deploy\jbossweb-tomcat55.sar\server.xml

and changed the HTTP Connector port to 8280.

after that, i created two more environment variables called JAVA_HOME2 and JBOSS_HOME2 to guarantee that had no prob with my previous installation of jboss3.2.5. i could insert the values manually on the run.bat. instead but i tried this way.

on the run.bat i did what u sugested but replaced the variables JAVA_HOME and JBOSS_HOME for JAVA_HOME2 and JBOSS_HOME2.

i run the jboss AS. both (3.2.5 and 4.0.3 are up and running).

but i don´t know why i have that problem with the soap address port.

any ideas ??

thanks