1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 1, 2006 5:42 AM by Bernard Perchman

    jboss.bind.address error

    Mike Adamakis Newbie

      I'm using JBoss 4.0.1sp1 and j2sdk 1.4.2-10 on Windows XP. When I start JBoss using "run -b 192.168.0.1" (I get the same error without the -b option) I'm getting the following error:

      javax.naming.CommunicationException: Failed to connect to server ${jboss.bind.address}:1099 [Root exception is javax.naming.ServiceUnavailableException: Failed to connect to server ${jboss.bind.address}:1099 [Root exception is java.net.UnknownHostException: ${jboss.bind.address}: ${jboss.bind.address}]]
      


      The following code...
      System.out.println("Context.PROVIDER_URL: "+servletContext.getInitParameter(Context.PROVIDER_URL));
      

      ... prints...
      2006-08-23 17:46:20,763 INFO [STDOUT] Context.PROVIDER_URL: jnp://${jboss.bind.address}:1099
      


      In the boot log I see...
      17:44:14,648 DEBUG [ServiceConfigurator] BindAddress set to 192.168.0.1 in jboss:service=Naming
      

      ... and the code...
      System.out.println("jboss.bind.address:"+System.getProperty("jboss.bind.address"));
      

      ... prints...
      2006-08-23 17:46:20,763 INFO [STDOUT] jboss.bind.address: 192.168.0.1
      


      I assume I have a configuration error somewhere because I just redeployed the ear without changing any code that could have caused this. I've run into this before and I ended up deleting JBoss and started with a clean install. I'd prefer to know how I messed up JBoss to get the ServletContext to use the literal string "${jboss.bind.address}" instead of the real address.

        • 1. Re: jboss.bind.address error
          Bernard Perchman Newbie

          I found and fixed a similar problem: JBoss was working but JMS was not routing correctly on our linux implementation. The cause was the uil2-service.xml under jboss/deploy/jms. It had the value ${jboss.bind.address} in a bindAddress attribute. I think that this was supposed to be replaced dynamically by jboss, but this wasn't happening. The solution was to replace the variable with the literal host name.