4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2007 3:16 PM by jaikiran

Deployment ordering

diippi

I am using spring deployer to deploy my spring beans , archived as abc.spring and specified in application.xml as follows :
      < module>
      < ejb>spring/abc.spring
      </ module>

The spring beans do a jndi lookup for hibernate session factory deployed as a har file which is specified in jboss-app.xml as follows :
      < module>
      < har>har/xyz.har
      </ module>

Problem is that spring deployment happens before the har deployment (application.xml before jboss-app.xml) and so it fails .
      Is there any way I can force the har deployment before the spring ?

• 1. Re: Deployment ordering
          jaikiran

Change the order in the application.xml itself.

<!-- First the har and then the ejb -->
          < module>
           < har>har/xyz.har</har>
           </ module>

< module>
           < ejb>spring/abc.spring</ejb>
           </ module>

• 2. Re: Deployment ordering
            diippi

< module>
            < har>har/xyz.har
            </ module>

is not acceptable in application.xml. If you specify it as java module then the required jndi bounding does not happens .

• 3. Re: Deployment ordering
              dimitris
              • 4. Re: Deployment ordering
                jaikiran

Dimitris ,

I am bit confused after reading the Forum Reference (http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=78376&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20) mentioned in that JIRA.

In one of the posts in that forum reference, you mention that

Maybe a simpler/better solution is to add in jboss-app.xml a new tag:

<module-order>implicit|strict</module-order>

with 'implicit' being the legacy behaviour, and 'strict' work by simply putting the the application.xml & jboss-app.xml modules in that order.

If modules from the 2 descriptors need to be arbitrarily mixed (e.g. a -ds.xml before an ejb jar), they can always be moved to jboss-app.xml (we already support this).

The only restriction is a module must appear only once in the 2 descriptors.

This is essentially the same with adding a new list (like unified-order) but we reuse the existing one, and add the extra flag to specify what we want.

On the other hand, I would argue that 'strict' should be the default, which is the "correct" behaviour, especially in the absence of a jboss-app.xml descriptor. If an old deployment gets broken, they can simply add the 'implicit' flag.

1) Has this been implemented, in the jboss-app dtd at http://www.jboss.org/j2ee/dtd/jboss-app_4_0.dtd i could not find a mention about this.

2) Considering the following entries in application.xml and jboss-app.xml:

application.xml:

<module>
                 <ejb>myEjb.jar</ejb>
                </module>

jboss-app.xml:

<module>
                 <har>myHar.har</har>
                <module>

Which module will be loaded first when:
                a) module-order is 'strict'
                b) module-order is 'implicit'

Thanks.