2 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2007 7:36 PM by wiggy

basic 4.2 deploy and missing javax.servlet files

wiggy

folks not sure whats going on .

downloaded the new 4.2 GA app server and unziped on my drive.

I run eclipse 3.2.2 with jboss ide (beta)

created a new server and pointed it at the new home directory for 4.2.

when i created a default dynamic web project within my eclipse and link to the new server - it doesnt compile.

it was missing several files in several directories in the install

first my /client directory didnt contain the javax.servlet.jar file.

second my /server/default/lib dir didnt contain either the javax.servlet.jsp.jar or the javax.servlet.jar files

third the directory didnt contain an jboss-ejb3x.jar (but did have the jboss-ejb3.jar - without the x).

all of which i meant i had to copy these files from 4.0.5 build dir equivs.

when i do this i seem i can get a basic dynamic web project to run under the new server.

Am i doing something wrong ? or is it my eclipse config thats not right? I run regular refreshes on the jboss ide dev site for refreshes.

either jboss tools is not upto date for the 4.2 build - or 4.2 is missing files that should be there

Any one else had difficulties - can advise. Somewhat concerned as i was going to try and use the ejb3 test deploy on 4.2 and wonder what else may be missing

• 1. Re: basic 4.2 deploy and missing javax.servlet files
          schmaggis

when you created a new server-runtime in eclipse did you select JBoss 4.2.0 or JBoss v4.0? i had a problem lately that JBoss 4.2.0 und JBoss 5.0.0 weren't displayed so i selected JBoss v4.0 and a message appeared there were some files missing, same files you mentioned.

I don't know if it's the same Problem, but I learned after some searching that the server description files for the new JBoss-server versions were missing. I found some here: www.informatik.fh-wiesbaden.de/~knauf/public/

If you selected JBoss 4.2.0 when creating a server please ignore this post :)

• 2. Re: basic 4.2 deploy and missing javax.servlet files
            wiggy

so nearly there.

went to site mentioned at download the org.eclipse.jst.server.jboss.ejb3_1.5.0.v200705171400.jar file which turns out to be a zip file. Heigh ho, i went into my eclipse plugins and created a dir with the same name as the zip file. I then extracted the zip file into the directory just created and restart eclipse - clean.

brilliant now i get the extra server defns. I created a new 4.2 server and start it - it comes up clean. wonderful.

Then i have a problem. I create a new dynamic web project and point it at the new server. it fails to compile with errors

Severity and Description Path Resource Location Creation Time Id
            Project my is missing required library: 'E:\jboss\jboss-4.2.0.GA\client\javax.servlet.jar' my Build path 1179529310630 2006
            Project my is missing required library: 'E:\jboss\jboss-4.2.0.GA\server\default\lib\javax.servlet.jsp.jar' my Build path 1179529310630 2005

the libraries are pointed to the wrong named files.

when i open the project and look at the build library paths i get the following

jboss runtimes (wst:2.4) which if you open it shows the javax.servlet.jsp.jar, and javax.servlet.jar - which are not the latest names in the 4.2 files list.

I dont know where this bit of config is to change it. If you try and edit the runtimes section it shows

org.jboss.ide.eclipse.as.core.runtime.ProjectInitializer/JBOSS 4.2 EJB3/jst.web/2.4

where is this?

very close but not quite there. I thought it might be in the serverdef file in the plugins dir however that correctly shows

<classpath id="jboss.project" >
            <archive path="${serverRootDirectory}/client/jboss-j2ee.jar" />
            <archive path="${serverRootDirectory}/client/jbossall-client.jar" />
            <archive path="${serverRootDirectory}/server/default/deploy/ejb3.deployer/jboss-ejb3.jar" />
            <archive path="${serverRootDirectory}/server/default/lib/jboss-ejb3x.jar" />
            <!--JBoss specific annotations like "SecurityDomain". -->
            <archive path="${serverRootDirectory}/server/default/deploy/ejb3.deployer/jboss-annotations-ejb3.jar" />

<archive path="${serverRootDirectory}/client/ejb3-persistence.jar" />
            <!--The J2EE5 AppClient needs more JARs for startup-->
            <!-- <archive path="${serverRootDirectory}/client/jboss-ejb3-client.jar" /> -->
            <archive path="${serverRootDirectory}/server/default/deploy/jboss-aop-jdk50.deployer/jboss-aop-jdk50.jar" />
            <archive path="${serverRootDirectory}/server/default/deploy/jboss-aop-jdk50.deployer/jboss-aspect-library-jdk50.jar" />

<!--Hibernate Exceptions might come into the application client. For catching them we need this jar.
            <archive path="${serverRootDirectory}/client/hibernate-client.jar" />-->

<!--For usage of Hibernate those JARs might be required -->
            <archive path="${serverRootDirectory}/server/default/lib/hibernate3.jar" />
            <archive path="${serverRootDirectory}/server/default/lib/hibernate-annotations.jar" />
            <archive path="${serverRootDirectory}/server/default/lib/hibernate-entitymanager.jar" />

<archive path="${serverRootDirectory}/server/default/lib/servlet-api.jar" />
            <archive path="${serverRootDirectory}/server/default/lib/jsp-api.jar" />
            <archive path="${serverRootDirectory}/server/default/lib/activation.jar" />
            <archive path="${serverRootDirectory}/server/default/lib/mail.jar" />
            </classpath>

with the new files correct

any ideas???