8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2007 8:40 AM by ztaps

away from console setup for jmx-console?

ztaps

Can JBoss be rigged to work from your workstation instead of going to a cold computer room (down the hall in my case) and using the console?

I can't find stuff using Google that shows how to configure your RedHat/JBoss server so I can run jmx-console from my desk's workstation webrowser instead of at the console where the server is located.

Can anyone help me? I've tried lots of stuff...:

1) changing hosts.allow in /etc/ directory.

2) ./run.sh -b xxx.xx.xx.xx (x = my workstation IP address)

3) Changed the /etc/hosts and /etc/sysconfig/network files

4) I went to the console and changed some displayed IP settings to match
      my workstation IP address on the jmx-console html screen but there were too many choices so I quit doing that.

5) Used the jems-installer program (hoping it would have some setting to allow me to view jmx-console from my desk) but that GUI installer did not go in that direction.

6) Lots of Googling for terms like "remote access of jmx-console" that went on and on...but no basic instructions for something that seems so simple and much needed. Lots of dead-ends.

Weblogic (from what I've been told) allows for people like me to work from my desk instead of at the console. Does JBoss allow for working at your desk?

P.S. I'm new at JBoss/RedHat. I come from a home version orientation where I use UBuntu.

• 1. Re: away from console setup for jmx-console?
          peterj

I assume that you are running JBoss AS 4.2.x (you never said). That version binds to localhost by default. If you bind it to 0.0.0.0, then it will be accessible from anywhere:

./run.sh -b 0.0.0.0

By the way, this is documented in the readme file.

Oh, and if you are running the app server as a service, see my post in http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=121025&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10, near the bottom of the page .

• 2. Re: away from console setup for jmx-console?
            ztaps

"PeterJ" wrote:
            I assume that you are running JBoss AS 4.2.x (you never said). That version binds to localhost by default. If you bind it to 0.0.0.0, then it will be accessible from anywhere:

./run.sh -b 0.0.0.0

By the way, this is documented in the readme file.

Oh, and if you are running the app server as a service, see my post in http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=121025&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10, near the bottom of the page .

Thanks for the prompt response! =)

I restarted the run.sh script using the 0.0.0.0 notation. I then did ...

http://xxx.xx.xx.xx:8080/jmx-console

...and it still said Cannot connect to server.

I need to change some more settings as I see discussed in some other posts.

I'll get back with you on what happens.

Thanks again for being some prompt.

• 3. Re: away from console setup for jmx-console?
              peterj

Don't forget to open the ports in your firewall. I opened 8080, 1099, 1098, 4444, 44445.

• 4. Re: away from console setup for jmx-console?
                peterj

Oops, last one should have been 4445

• 5. Re: away from console setup for jmx-console?
                  ztaps

"PeterJ" wrote:
                  Don't forget to open the ports in your firewall. I opened 8080, 1099, 1098, 4444, 4445.

The guy that opens up ports here at work isn't available right now to do that for me.

Is port 8080 good enough because I know for a fact that port 8080 has been opened but I still get "Cannot find server" on my html attempt when I enter the following in my internet explorer browser at my desk:

http://xxx.xx.xxx.xx:8080/jmx-console

(xxx.xx.xxx.xx is my hard-coded IP address to get to the server in our computer room)

Do I need all five to get a successful jmx-console displayed at my desk?

I'm a newbie.

• 6. Re: away from console setup for jmx-console?
                    peterj

The "cannot find the server" message usually means that there is no host that corresponds to the IP address. Can you ping the server?

What is in the /etc/hosts file?

Have you tried setting -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true in the JVM command options.

So many things that can go wrong. Ain't Linux grand?!?

As far as I remember (it was a while back when I set up iptables), I had to open ports as follows:

Port 8080 was sufficient for http

Ports 1099 and 1098 were needed for JNDI and RMI (e.g, client using messing or EJBs)

Ports 4444, 4445 were needed for JMX clients.

• 7. Re: away from console setup for jmx-console?
                      ztaps

"PeterJ" wrote:
                      The "cannot find the server" message usually means that there is no host that corresponds to the IP address. Can you ping the server?

What is in the /etc/hosts file?

Have you tried setting -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true in the JVM command options.

So many things that can go wrong. Ain't Linux grand?!?

As far as I remember (it was a while back when I set up iptables), I had to open ports as follows:

Port 8080 was sufficient for http

Ports 1099 and 1098 were needed for JNDI and RMI (e.g, client using messing or EJBs)

Ports 4444, 4445 were needed for JMX clients.

I coworker of mine (extremely smart in Unix/Linux) thinks 8080 isn't entirely opened up as I was told. He showed me a test.

Gotta wait until Monday until the fella that can work with 8080 returns.

If the attempt to reconfigure 8080 fails again, I'll post my settings that you asked.

Thanks again for you prompt help.

P.S. Linux is a blast!

• 8. Re: away from console setup for jmx-console?
                        ztaps

The solution was the setting in RedHat SELinux. I needed to check the "WWW (HTTP)" option on the Security Level Configuration screen in order to get JBoss to run from desk.

Nothing wrong with port 8080 being opened.