14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2007 2:48 AM by sunainavarma

jboss is not running

sunainavarma

hi
      i have installed java1.5.0 and i am using jboss 4.2.0 . when i am trying to run jboss using command c:>pathjboss>bin>run.bat (or) by clicking in run.bat file in the bin folder jboss is not starting. in environment variable i have set the classpath and java home and path. still is not working

pls tell me how to solve this problem

thanks in advance

• 1. Re: jboss is not running
          jaikiran

When you say, its not running are you seeing any exceptions? Start JBoss from the command prompt using the run.bat file. Post the output of the console here.

• 2. Re: jboss is not running
            sunainavarma

thanks for reply jaikiran

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.1.GA\bin>run.bat

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.1.GA\bin>

this is the output but jboss is running in myeclipse ide
            how it is possible i am totally confused .
            classpath settings and path settings and java home settings every thing is ok but jboss is not working manually
            why???????????

• 3. Re: jboss is not running
              jaikiran

OK, so when you run that bat file what do you see in the server.log file which is present under C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.1.GA\server\default\log folder?

• 4. Re: jboss is not running
                sunainavarma

while i am running jboss in myeclipse it generates the log,data,tmp,work folder and the server.log file in log folder. In that file it displays the information regarding the deployment and configuration information . It is good . But when i am going run the jboss through cmd promt it is not generating any log,data,work,tmp folders

why it is not generating ?

• 5. Re: jboss is not running
                  ssjvackar

When you start from the command prompt you don't re-deploy anything (I think)

So your previously deployed apps will be used

Try starting you server, then open a web browser and type in

http://localhost:8080 (You may need tochange 8080 to sometnhing else)

If you see the JBoss AS home page then your server is running

To access your application type /nameOfMyApp/nameOfPage.ext after http://localhost:8080

• 6. Re: jboss is not running
                    jaikiran

"sunainavarma" wrote:
                    while i am running jboss in myeclipse it generates the log,data,tmp,work folder and the server.log file in log folder. In that file it displays the information regarding the deployment and configuration information . It is good . But when i am going run the jboss through cmd promt it is not generating any log,data,work,tmp folders

why it is not generating ?

Post the contents of C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.1.GA\bin\run.bat file. By the way, which version of operating system are you using?

• 7. Re: jboss is not running
                      sunainavarma

thanks for replay jaikiran

below one is the run.bat content and i am using window xp service pack 2
                      few days before its working after that i have formated my system and i installed every thing newly . now i am facing these problems

@echo off
                      rem -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      rem JBoss Bootstrap Script for Win32
                      rem -------------------------------------------------------------------------

rem $Id: run.bat 63249 2007-05-30 13:20:25Z dimitris@jboss.org $

@if not "%ECHO%" == "" echo %ECHO%
                      @if "%OS%" == "Windows_NT" setlocal

set DIRNAME=.\
                      if "%OS%" == "Windows_NT" set DIRNAME=%~dp0%
                      set PROGNAME=run.bat
                      if "%OS%" == "Windows_NT" set PROGNAME=%~nx0%

pushd %DIRNAME%..
                      set JBOSS_HOME=%CD%
                      popd

REM Add bin/native to the PATH if present
                      if exist "%JBOSS_HOME%\bin\native" set PATH=%JBOSS_HOME%\bin\native;%PATH%
                      if exist "%JBOSS_HOME%\bin\native" set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Djava.library.path="%PATH%"

rem Read all command line arguments

REM
                      REM The %ARGS% env variable commented out in favor of using %* to include
                      REM all args in java command line. See bug #840239. [jpl]
                      REM
                      REM set ARGS=
                      REM :loop
                      REM if [%1] == [] goto endloop
                      REM set ARGS=%ARGS% %1
                      REM shift
                      REM goto loop
                      REM :endloop

rem Find run.jar, or we can't continue

set RUNJAR=%JBOSS_HOME%\bin\run.jar
                      if exist "%RUNJAR%" goto FOUND_RUN_JAR
                      echo Could not locate %RUNJAR%. Please check that you are in the
                      echo bin directory when running this script.
                      goto END

:FOUND_RUN_JAR

if not "%JAVA_HOME%" == "" goto ADD_TOOLS

set JAVA=java

echo JAVA_HOME is not set. Unexpected results may occur.
                      echo Set JAVA_HOME to the directory of your local JDK to avoid this message.
                      goto SKIP_TOOLS

:ADD_TOOLS

set JAVA=%JAVA_HOME%\bin\java

rem A full JDK with toos.jar is not required anymore since jboss web packages
                      rem the eclipse jdt compiler and javassist has its own internal compiler.
                      if not exist "%JAVA_HOME%\lib\tools.jar" goto SKIP_TOOLS

rem If exists, point to the JDK javac compiler in case the user wants to
                      rem later override the eclipse jdt compiler for compiling JSP pages.
                      set JAVAC_JAR=%JAVA_HOME%\lib\tools.jar

:SKIP_TOOLS

rem If JBOSS_CLASSPATH or JAVAC_JAR is empty, don't include it, as this will
                      rem result in including the local directory in the classpath, which makes
                      rem error tracking harder.
                      if not "%JAVAC_JAR%" == "" set RUNJAR=%JAVAC_JAR%;%RUNJAR%
                      if "%JBOSS_CLASSPATH%" == "" set RUN_CLASSPATH=%RUNJAR%
                      if "%RUN_CLASSPATH%" == "" set RUN_CLASSPATH=%JBOSS_CLASSPATH%;%RUNJAR%

set JBOSS_CLASSPATH=%RUN_CLASSPATH%

rem Setup JBoss specific properties
                      set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Dprogram.name=%PROGNAME%

rem Add -server to the JVM options, if supported
                      "%JAVA%" -version 2>&1 | findstr /I hotspot > nul
                      if not errorlevel == 1 (set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -server)

rem JVM memory allocation pool parameters. Modify as appropriate.
                      set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xms128m -Xmx512m

rem With Sun JVMs reduce the RMI GCs to once per hour
                      set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Dsun.rmi.dgc.client.gcInterval=3600000 -Dsun.rmi.dgc.server.gcInterval=3600000

rem JPDA options. Uncomment and modify as appropriate to enable remote debugging.
                      rem set JAVA_OPTS=-Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=8787,server=y,suspend=y %JAVA_OPTS%

rem Setup the java endorsed dirs
                      set JBOSS_ENDORSED_DIRS=%JBOSS_HOME%\lib\endorsed

echo ===============================================================================
                      echo.
                      echo JBoss Bootstrap Environment
                      echo.
                      echo JBOSS_HOME: %JBOSS_HOME%
                      echo.
                      echo JAVA: %JAVA%
                      echo.
                      echo JAVA_OPTS: %JAVA_OPTS%
                      echo.
                      echo CLASSPATH: %JBOSS_CLASSPATH%
                      echo.
                      echo ===============================================================================
                      echo.

:RESTART
                      "%JAVA%" %JAVA_OPTS% "-Djava.endorsed.dirs=%JBOSS_ENDORSED_DIRS%" -classpath "%JBOSS_CLASSPATH%" org.jboss.Main %*
                      if ERRORLEVEL 10 goto RESTART

:END
                      if "%NOPAUSE%" == "" pause

:END_NO_PAUSE

• 8. Re: jboss is not running
                        jaikiran

At this point i am a bit clueless. Could you try the following:

- From the command prompt go to C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.1.GA\bin folder.

- Run the following command:

.\run.bat

Note the .\ in the command.

Let us know how it goes.

• 9. Re: jboss is not running
                          jaikiran

Wait a minute. I could reproduce this scenario. Does the user through which you login have permissions to execute that run.bat file? Right click on run.bat , select Properties and in the Security tab see which users have what permissions on this file. I disabled execute priveleges for this file on my local setup and when i tried to run it from the command prompt, the control immidiately returned back without any messages. However when i double clicked on the run.bat file, i did get an windows pop-up which mentioned that i dont have the permission to execute this file.

• 10. Re: jboss is not running
                            sunainavarma

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>.\run.bat

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>

this is the result .

And i make some change in run.bat file as echo on and i run the bat file then the output is

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
                            (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\sowjanya>cd\

C:\>cd "Program Files"

C:\Program Files>cd jboss-4.2.0.GA

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA>cd bin

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>.\run.bat

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>run.bat

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>rem ----------------------------------------
                            ---------------------------------

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>rem JBoss Bootstrap Script for Win32

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>rem ----------------------------------------
                            ---------------------------------

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>rem $Id: run.bat 60996 2007-02-28 13:44:01Z
                            dimitris@jboss.org $

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>set DIRNAME=.\

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>if "Windows_NT" == "Windows_NT" set DIRNAME=
                            C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin\

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>set PROGNAME=run.bat

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>if "Windows_NT" == "Windows_NT" set PROGNAME
                            =run.bat

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>pushd C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin\..

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA>set JBOSS_HOME=C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA>popd

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>REM Add bin/native to the PATH if present

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>if exist "C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bi
                            n\native" set PATH=C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin\native;C:\Program Files\J
                            ava\jdk1.5.0\bin;.;

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>if exist "C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bi
                            n\native" set JAVA_OPTS= -Djava.library.path=C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin
                            \native

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>rem Read all command line arguments

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>REM

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>REM The env variable commented out in favor
                            of using to include

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>REM all args in java command line. See bug #
                            840239. [jpl]

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>REM

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>REM set ARGS=

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>REM :loop

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>REM if [] == [] goto endloop

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>REM set ARGS=

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>REM shift

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>REM goto loop

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>REM :endloop

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>rem Find run.jar, or we can't continue

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>set RUNJAR=C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\b
                            in\run.jar

n\run.jar" goto FOUND_RUN_JAR

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>if not "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0;" ==
                            "" goto ADD_TOOLS

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>set JAVA=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0;\bin
                            \java

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>rem A full JDK with toos.jar is not required
                            anymore since jboss web packages

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>rem the eclipse jdt compiler and javassist h
                            as its own internal compiler.

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>if not exist "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0
                            ;\lib\tools.jar" goto SKIP_TOOLS

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>rem If JBOSS_CLASSPATH or JAVAC_JAR is empty
                            , don't include it, as this will

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>rem result in including the local directory
                            in the classpath, which makes

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>rem error tracking harder.

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>if not "" == "" set RUNJAR=;C:\Program Files
                            \jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin\run.jar

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>if "" == "" set RUN_CLASSPATH=C:\Program Fil
                            es\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin\run.jar

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>if "C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin\run.
                            jar" == "" set RUN_CLASSPATH=;C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin\run.jar

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>set JBOSS_CLASSPATH=C:\Program Files\jboss-4
                            .2.0.GA\bin\run.jar

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>rem Setup JBoss specific properties

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>set JAVA_OPTS= -Dprogram.name=run.bat

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>rem Add -server to the JVM options, if suppo
                            rted

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>"C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0;\bin\java" -
                            version 2>&1 | findstr /I hotspot 1>nul

C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin>

i think it may givesu some idea.

• 11. Re: jboss is not running
                              jaikiran

And i make some change in run.bat file as echo on and i run the bat file

Great !

i think it may givesu some idea.

Yes, it does :)

"C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0;\bin\java" -
                              version 2>&1 | findstr /I hotspot 1>nul

Starting 4.0.5 run.bat script has this new piece to check if the JVM supports the -server flag, in order to add it. There were errors reported in the forums related to this, which had to do with 'findstr' not being in the PATH. Here's an wiki entry for this http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=FindstrCommandNotFound. However, i havent seen the bat file terminating at this command.

I would suggest that you just comment out the following lines in the run.bat file and start the server. Edit the run.bat file as follows

rem Add -server to the JVM options, if supported
                              rem "%JAVA%" -version 2>&1 | findstr /I hotspot > nul
                              rem if not errorlevel == 1 (set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -server)

Alternately, you can add C:\Windows\System32 in the PATH, as mentioned in the wiki and see if that works.

Let us know how it goes.

• 12. Re: jboss is not running
                                sunainavarma

i have commented that lines and run the bat file
                                the output is

===============================================================================

JBoss Bootstrap Environment

JBOSS_HOME: C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA

JAVA: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0;\bin\java

JAVA_OPTS: -Dprogram.name=run.bat -Xms128m -Xmx512m -Dsun.rmi.dgc.client.gcI
                                terval=3600000 -Dsun.rmi.dgc.server.gcInterval=3600000

CLASSPATH: C:\Program Files\jboss-4.2.0.GA\bin\run.jar

===============================================================================

The system cannot find the path specified.
                                Press any key to continue . . .

• 13. Re: jboss is not running
                                  jaikiran

JAVA: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0;\bin\java

Looks like you have set

set JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0;

There should NOT be a semicolon here. So change it to

set JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0

Apparently, even the earlier problem where you saw no output when you execute the run.bat also is because of this semicolon. I just tried it out on my local setup by placing a semicolon in the JAVA_HOME value. I too saw the same behaviour. So once you set the JAVA_HOME properly without any semicolon, you can even undo the changes that you did to run.bat.

• 14. Re: jboss is not running
                                    sunainavarma

thanks jaikiran
                                    its working
                                    thanks a lot