2 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2008 9:48 AM by dimitris

Expected release of JBossAS-5.0.0.GA?

sumitsu

I was curious as to whether there is an approximate expected release date of the stable revision of the 5.0 JBoss AS.

The reason I ask is that my team is planning to upgrade our existing JBoss 4.0.2 installations in the near future. We would prefer to make the jump to 5.0, but there will be some significant investment in re-testing our applications and in self-training in advance of an upgrade (regardless of which version we go to), so it would not be worth doing that preparation for JBoss 5 if deadlines end up forcing us to go with 4.2.2 anyway.

In early November 2007, Dimitris Andreadis forecast 5.0 GA to be released in February of this year (assuming that the poster there is, in fact, Dimitris Andreadis) -- is there a revised expectation now? I understand from the JBoss AS JIRA that issues are still currently being worked out in the Candidate Release.

Thanks in advance for any information. Apologies if this is not the correct forum for this inquiry.

• 1. Re: Expected release of JBossAS-5.0.0.GA?
          achillix

I'd like to take the opportunity (in order to save some noise with yet another verison/upgrade related post) to post smth related:

Upgrade advise: 4.0.5 vs 4.2.2 vs 5.0.0

Hi,
          we are about to upgrade to a new fresh hardware and we are considering upgrading to latest and greatest
          jboss, postgresql as well.
          Currently we are on 3.0.3 (for various reasons, mainly lack of time).
          At some point back in 2006, i had come up with a plan for migration to (then) 4.0.4, and i had writen
          instructions how to deal with eclipse, packaging, EJB configuration, and the test succeeded.
          However we were unable to upgrade due to lack of testing time, and lack of a paralel test system.
          Now we have the hw, + i have to do the upgrade.
          So the questions are
          a) which version should i turn to?
          b) What are the changes between 4.0.4->4.2.2->5.0.0
          I know its been 2 years under development, but what are the caveats someone should be aware of?

Thank you for any directions.
          --
          Achilleas Mantzios

• 2. Re: Expected release of JBossAS-5.0.0.GA?
            dimitris

The safest bet at this point is to go for the latest stable 4.2.x version (4.2.2), as the 5.x series will take some time to stabilize.

To see what's changed from 4.0.x to 4.2.x take a look at the release notes for 4.2.0/1/2.

http://www.jboss.org/jbossas/downloads/