9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2008 6:46 PM by pgib

Configuring virtual directories in Jboss4.2.2

Can any body please tell me how to configure virtual directories in Jboss??
      what i mean by Virtual directory is an external directory in the file system that can be accessed through an http URL.

Please help me in this issue, i am searching for the clues since 3 hours, still couldnt figure out how to?

• 1. Re: Configuring virtual directories in Jboss4.2.2
          jaikiran
          • 2. Re: Configuring virtual directories in Jboss4.2.2

Thanks a lot for your hep kiran.

• 3. Re: Configuring virtual directories in Jboss4.2.2

Hmm, I tried the instructions on the page. I am running JBoss4.2.3. I followed the "Serving Static External Files jboss-3.2.4 Onwards" directions. My version is > 3.2.4, and the instructions for pre-3.2.4 use the org.jboss.tomcat.tc4 package which is now depreciated.

However: when running my application, I receive no errors, but trying to access files in my context-path results in 404 errors.

So - what could be wrong? I'm not following "Step 1" exactly, because it doesn't make sense. Instead I am editing server/default/deploy/jboss-web.deployer/server.xml

Thanks in advance!
              Paul

• 4. Re: Configuring virtual directories in Jboss4.2.2

Some more details:
                server.xml

<Context path="/llama" appBase=""
                 docBase="/home/llama" debug="99" reloadable="true">
                 </Context>

However, I get this:

17:46:42,885 WARN [Digester] [SetPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Engine/Host/Context} Setting property 'appBase' to '' did not find a matching property.
                17:46:42,886 WARN [Digester] [SetPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Engine/Host/Context} Setting property 'debug' to '99' did not find a matching property.
                17:46:42,908 INFO [AprLifecycleListener] The Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal performance in production environments was not found on the java.library.path: /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/amd64/server:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/amd64:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/../lib/amd64:/usr/java/packages/lib/amd64:/usr/lib64:/lib64:/lib:/usr/lib
                17:46:43,006 INFO [Http11Protocol] Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-0.0.0.0-8080
                17:46:43,007 INFO [AjpProtocol] Initializing Coyote AJP/1.3 on ajp-0.0.0.0-8009
                17:46:43,007 INFO [Catalina] Initialization processed in 252 ms
                17:46:43,007 INFO [StandardService] Starting service jboss.web
                17:46:43,009 INFO [StandardEngine] Starting Servlet Engine: JBossWeb/2.0.1.GA
                17:46:43,246 WARN [config] Unable to process deployment descriptor for context '/llama'

So, I removed appBase and debug from the context, however, I still get:

17:48:11,725 WARN [config] Unable to process deployment descriptor for context '/llama'

• 5. Re: Configuring virtual directories in Jboss4.2.2
                  peterj

Have you tried accessing a static file within /home/llama? If you have the file /home/llama/foo.gif, you should be able to see it via http://localhost:8080/llama/foo.gif.

• 6. Re: Configuring virtual directories in Jboss4.2.2

Doesn't work. However, I figured out the problem, apparently the external directory requires it's own WEB-APP/web.xml file. This must be what "step 1" was trying to describe.

I am editing the Wiki right now with more descriptive information.

Thanks for your fast response!

• 7. Re: Configuring virtual directories in Jboss4.2.2
                      peterj

That is weird, a virtual directory should not require a web.xml file - I never have one in my virtual directories.

• 8. Re: Configuring virtual directories in Jboss4.2.2

Well, you see the error I was receiving "Unable to process deployment descriptor for context '/llama'" So, I added a deployment descriptor to that directory and now it works.

-Paul

• 9. Re: Configuring virtual directories in Jboss4.2.2

Odd, removing the web.xml still causes the warning, but things work now. I guess it was the appName and debug that was making it break.

Regardless, I now have more descriptive information in the Wiki regarding this - with updated directory paths and removal of the two context properties that were causing an additional 2 warnings (and I believe the source of my problem).

If someone knows when the directory structure changed in Jboss, they can change my "Recent versions of Jboss" to something like "Jboss versions x.x.x and up"