1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 13, 2009 11:48 AM by peterj

DeploymentScanner

harleyguy

I am hoping a more senior JBoss expert can share his knowledge on remote deployments to JBoss-AS.

We are using JBoss-4.2.3GA. We are using Hudson to accomplish our builds for the web project. We are now attempting to deploy the war file to a remote JBoss-AS running on Redhat Linux. What I discovered is JBoss-AS has the ability to scan a URL and accomplish a hot-deployment for us. We can just drop off the war file in a directory for JBoss to scan. We would have to manually remove the old war file so JBoss-AS will undeploy it for us.

The guys on my team are not very supportive on making this work because they want a clean build and suspect JBoss-AS will not provide us with this capability following my approach.

Are there any pitfalls with using the Deployment Scanner JXMBean like I described above?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

HG

• 1. Re: DeploymentScanner
          peterj

The guys on my team are not very supportive on making this work because they want a clean build

Could you explain this point, please? I fail to understand why deleting the old war file and then copying over the new war file is not considered a "clean build".

The Deployment Scanner can only handle packaged WAR files (not exploded directories) [at least, that is what I remember but it has been a while since I did this, but perhaps it was if the URL you gave was not file://*], and of course the packaged WAR must be accessible to the app server (i.e., from the remote RedHat system) via that URL.