3 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2003 5:22 PM by slaboure

HAPartition membership change behavior

weiqingh

i registered a membership change listener with my HAPartition. when i started a 2nd jboss server, my first jboss server will get 3 notifications (instead of just one as i was expecting):

(ENG-28616 is the new node)

dead = [] new = [ENG-28616:1537] all = [dnali2ktestpc:2585, ENG-28616:1537]

dead = [] new = [ENG-28616:1543] all = [dnali2ktestpc:2585, ENG-28616:1537, ENG-28616:1543]

dead = [ENG-28616:1537] new = [] all = [dnali2ktestpc:2585, ENG-28616:1543]

this was also confirmed by the partition logging with 3 new cluster view changes and another line like this in between:
      Suspected member: ENG-28616:1537

at the end, the cluster view seems to be correct (2 nodes). but why was there this intermediate extra node on the same machine?

tia.

• 1. Re: HAPartition membership change behavior
          slaboure

can you verify your setup? you seem to have already two nodes when you start your test.

Cheers,

sacha

• 2. Re: HAPartition membership change behavior
            weiqingh

Sacha,

thanks for your reply. my test only involves two servers. (notice that the extra node in the log had the same host name, only different port number)

i double-checked my cluster-server.xml and found out that the only change i made is to create my own partition (by copy/past the DefaultPartition element and change its name).

after i removed my partition, the extra message ("extra node") went away.

is this a bug, or how should i configure a second partition?

thanks.

• 3. Re: HAPartition membership change behavior
              slaboure

no that's the expected behaviour: by adding your own partition, it will behave as an independent new node of the cluster, even if then you have two partitions running in the same jboss instances => the cluster will see three partitions member.

If you create your own partition, you may want to change its name or its multicast address so they don't play together...

Cheers,

sacha