5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2003 4:37 AM by slaboure

How can I Disable Clustering on jboss 4.0.0DR1?

ace

I use a laptop for development which is often not connected to a network. When I start up jboss 4.0.0DR1 and I'm not on a network, I get lots of exceptions thrown starting with:

WARN [ServiceController] Problem starting service jboss.remoting:service=Detector,transport=multicast
      java.net.SocketException: No such device

It starts up fine when I'm connected to a network. I didn't have this issue with jboss 3.0.4. Anyway, how do I turn off clustering?

Thank you,

Ace

• 1. Re: How can I Disable Clustering on jboss 4.0.0DR1?
          slaboure

that is not due to clustering, that is jboss remoting.

sacha

• 2. Re: How can I Disable Clustering on jboss 4.0.0DR1?
            cslenkey

Hi sacha,

If it is remoting, how can I disable remoting?
            Because I have the same problem.

Csaba

• 3. Re: How can I Disable Clustering on jboss 4.0.0DR1?
              slaboure

I am not a Remoting guy, which is why my answer was so short. Please post a bug report on sf.net/projects/jboss indicating that this is a frequent behaviour on Windows (due to autosensing feature): when no cable is plugged in a NIC, all routes are removed and multicast is disabled thus generating exceptions...

• 4. Re: How can I Disable Clustering on jboss 4.0.0DR1?
                ace

I have found a workaround for this issue. If I assign my laptop a random static IP address (instead of using DHCP), while not connected to a network, jboss seems to start up without any exceptions being thrown. I use netconfig which is a text based gui (comes with Redhat 8.0) to switch back and forth between static IP (when I have no network connection) and DCHP (when I have a network connection). Its kind of a pain in the butt to switch back and forth but at least now I can develop with JBoss 4.0.0DR1 in a coffee shop, on a plane, on a mountain, underwater, etc...

If anyone has a better workaround (or a legitimate fix) please advise.

• 5. Re: How can I Disable Clustering on jboss 4.0.0DR1?
                  slaboure

As I previously said, posting a feature request or bug report on sf.net is the best way to see your problem handled differently but make no mistake: if the JVM cannot use the network for some reason, JBoss won't be able to do miracles (for example to discover other JBoss instances on the network)