4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2004 8:11 AM by prese

How(when) detects the cluster the dead members?

prese

Hi guys,

I´m using JBOSS 3.2.5.

Let´s consider the following scenario:
      - start Node A and Node B in the same scenarion
      - check the DefaultPartion MBean to see how many memebers are in the partition -- 2 .. A & B

-- unplug the network cable for node B
      -- check the DefaultPartition -- 2 nodes A & B ... on both machine

-- is this normal??

- plug back the cable ... imediatlly in both console I´m able to see a message that said that right now no dead member is identified, but before this it also said that 1 dead member is identified ...
      So we finds out that was a dead member only when i put the cable back?
      Is this normal??

Maybe I did not configured something correctlly. I look in the cluster documentation and I used for cluster configuration what is recommended there ...

I want to mention that stopping the node B signals the node A that it is down but unpluging the cable does not do this ....

Have someone any idea about this?

Any help is welcome

Thanks
      Sebi

• 1. Re: How(when) detects the cluster the dead members?
          belaban

The dead member should be removed from the membership, but only if you use FD rather than FD_SOCK in (cluster-service.xml)

Bela

• 2. Re: How(when) detects the cluster the dead members?
            prese

Hi Bela,

I´m using FD not FD_SOCK.
            I make a little debug and HAPartion.viewAccepted() is called only when a plug the network cable not when I unplug it.

The cluster reports the node as suspicious but It still consider it like an friendly node ...

Is any possibility to force the deleteion of that node from the cluster table ?

Thanks
            Sebi

• 3. Re: How(when) detects the cluster the dead members?
              belaban

Pulling the plug should result in a viewAccepted() callback. Depending on the parameters of FD it will take more or less time.

I have done this before on various systems, and it has always worked.

Bela

• 4. Re: How(when) detects the cluster the dead members?
                prese

Hi Bela,

I noticed the following behavior:
                - when the cable is pluged-out the suspect messages are generated but the HaPartition is not notified with a suspect event
                - when the cable is pluged-in the HaPartition is first notified with suspect event and after that with merge event
                Is this the expected behaviour?

I use HaSingleton mechanism and the problem is that when the master node is pluged out the topology of the cluster does not get changed and the election of the new master node is not triggered.
                Have you any idea how can I trigger the topology change when the cable is pluged-out?

Thanks
                Sebi