1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 29, 2005 9:53 AM by mjsmith

Problems with load balancing

mjsmith

Hello all. Let me start with a newbie alert. I am a system administrator responsible for two systems running JBoss 4.0.2 on Solaris 9. We have had the system up for a few weeks with the developers working on their code. Today, the networking group put a Cisco CSS load balancing appliance.

All of the sudden, we are getting the following errors:

14:56:37,075 ERROR [PoolTcpEndpoint] Socket error caused by remote host /10.99.72.100
      java.net.SocketException: Invalid argument
      at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketSetOption(Native Method)
      at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.setOption(PlainSocketImpl.java:264)
      at java.net.Socket.setTcpNoDelay(Socket.java:826)
      at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.setSocketOptions(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:503)
      at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:515)
      at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.MasterSlaveWorkerThread.run(MasterSlaveWorkerThread.java:112)
      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

The ip address is one of the CCS systems and it fluctuates between the two.

I've already seen where some people suggest setting the CSS systems to "sticky mode". This has been done and the problem did not go away. Has anyone else seen this before? Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

• 1. Re: Problems with load balancing
          mjsmith

Hello! Answering my own question here. Our networking group fixed this by making the CSS's send http keep alive packets instead of generic TCP keep alive packets.

In hindsight, this was probably not a problem at all. It just generated a lot of error messages on the JBoss side.