11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2002 2:59 PM by marc.fleury

JBoss book

edwardkenworthy

My copy of the JBoss book arrived on saturday. Just started reading and noticed the intro describes open source and it's philosophy.

Surely JBoss is free as it uses the lgpl, not open source at all - which has a completelty different philosophical underpinning ?

• 1. Re: JBoss book
          tobias

What do you mean ?

JBoss is LGPLed. As such it is open sourced (get the source from CVS @ Sourceforge) AND it is "free" as in "free speech".

That means:
          You _can_ download the source and do with it whatever you want, as long as you comply to the terms of the LPGL (that is: for any altered version you distribute you also have to distribute the source at no cost).

That's it.

Tobias

• 2. Re: JBoss book
            luce

The LGPL is an Open Source Initiative (OSI)-certified license. You can read more about it here.
            http://www.opensource.org/licenses/lgpl-license.php

• 3. Re: JBoss book
              edwardkenworthy

I completely understand what open source is silly boys.

LGPL software if "free software" which is different from "open source" as I pointed out. Perhaps you should go read the sources you cited and some of the fsf's ?

Anyway, back to my original question - anyone have the answer - and please remember this is "The Water Cooler".

Thanks.

• 4. Re: JBoss book
                edwardkenworthy

As an aside, I would thoroughly recommend the book (even if it is does cover 2.4) very well written and very interesting. I've learnt alot about JMX already :-)

• 5. Re: JBoss book
                  jwkaltz

Well, why don't you enlighten us then : why do you consider that JBoss is not open-source ?
                  Or, if that is not what you're saying, please rephrase your original statement as in that case I don't understand it.

• 6. Re: JBoss book
                    edwardkenworthy

The simple summary is:

free software is based on the philosophy that software should be free as a moral right (free as in speech).

open software is based on the philosophy that software is best developed by being open. Open software has no problem with using proprietary software if that is the best.

The GPL/LPGPL software is free. OSI etc is open.

JBoss is LGPL'd ==> free even though it complies with the osi's definition of open. Free in a sense is a superset of open, all free (gpl'd) software is open, but not the reverse.

Anyway that's my understanding, which led to my question about why the book goes on about open software, when it seems obvious to me that JBoss is actually free.

• 7. Re: JBoss book
                      edwardkenworthy

The simple summary is:

free software is based on the philosophy that software should be free as a moral right (free as in speech).

open software is based on the philosophy that software is best developed by being open. Open software has no problem with using proprietary software if that is the best.

JBoss is LGPL'd ==> free even though it complies with the osi's definition of open. Free in a sense is a superset of open, all free (gpl'd) software is open, but not the reverse.

Anyway that's my understanding, which led to my question about why the book goes on about open software, when it seems obvious to me that JBoss is actually free.

• 8. Re: JBoss book
                        edwardkenworthy

The simple summary is:

• 9. Re: JBoss book
                          edwardkenworthy

Well I've tried 4 times to post a response explaining what I thought the difference between free software (which is what JBoss is) and open software (which JBoss is as free is a superset of open) but the forum appears screwed. No doubt not JBoss's fault ;-) but that of whatever software is running on top of it.

• 10. Re: JBoss book
                            edwardkenworthy

Apologise for the multiple posts - I blame the forum software ;-)

• 11. Re: JBoss book
                              marc.fleury

Sorry for the forums, jive is flaking out on us and we might try to do something about with EJB2.0 (when we get some time).

Back to your original question. First are you the "edward kenworthy" I once kicked out from the user lists? if so, well, welcome back and check your vocabulary around here :) yeah we all get raunchy sometime but I want to at least have an intelligent thread to the forums (be right/wrong, but be logical).

This argument on Open Source vs. Free is really academic. But it is true that I try to refer to our software as both "Free" and "Open Source". You are correct in pointing out not all Open Source is Free but that Free is Open Source. Clearly Open Source contains Free as a subset. I am not too evangelical when it comes to talking about Open Source or Free, and was corrected several times by Mr Stallman in person (and in french) everytime I made the mistake in my conversations with him.

As an aside I find that using LGPL, by a funky twist of fate turns out to be more business friendly than many other options. When I say business friendly, I am talking about my own business. The appserver vendors, like BEA, can't outright steal our code (even though they do inspire themselves greatly from our work) and the contributors need to give their modifications. I find that great.

So yeah LGPL really suits us and I will make an effort to refer to "FREE" when I can but I am correct in qualifying our software as "Open Source" as the definition clearly implies. BTW FYI our lawyer in California, Larry Rosen is the guy that defines the OSI :)