5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2002 3:05 PM by marc.fleury

"THE JAVA APP-SERVER REFERENCE IMPLEMENTATION."

edwardkenworthy

I'm curious, what's the basis for this claim ?

• 1. Re: "THE JAVA APP-SERVER REFERENCE IMPLEMENTATION."
          tobias

Just a shot in the dark:
          SUN parties about the 2,000,000th download of the J2EE SDK. The actual JBoss download counter is at (let me look) ... 1,556,799 (CVS downloads NOT counted).

Still officially the "RI" is from SUN. But the reference server _on the market_ is JBoss in my eyes. If your development tool does not work with JBoss most of the developers are not gonna use it.

Ciao,
          Tobias

• 2. Re: "THE JAVA APP-SERVER REFERENCE IMPLEMENTATION."
            edwardkenworthy

Ah!

so "reference implementation" translates as "most downloaded".

However "most downloaded" probably means "it's free so why not have a look" I myself have downloaded 6 copies onto 3 different machines in just the last week...

• 3. Re: "THE JAVA APP-SERVER REFERENCE IMPLEMENTATION."
              joelvogt

Then again "most downloaded" probably doesn't means "it's free so why not have a look".
              IMO JBoss is the best app server atm for implementing the specs. In some cases the jboss guys are even making the specs first.
              You can either agree with that or not.

• 4. Re: "THE JAVA APP-SERVER REFERENCE IMPLEMENTATION."
                edwardkenworthy

Yes I agree with you but that still doesn't really justify the claim to be the reference java-app server.

If it were, BEA, IBM, Sun etc etc would be marketing their app servers as JBoss compliant etc. They aren't though are they ? And I bet no-one seriously goes to their (potential) app server vendors asking whether their app servers are JBoss compliant.

• 5. Re: "THE JAVA APP-SERVER REFERENCE IMPLEMENTATION."
                  marc.fleury

Edward,

Ever heard of something called marketing? It works something like this. We look at the facts, we are aware of the facts. The numbers are just staggering, SUN's RI is barely downloaded anymore (the numbers were from back to 1998 cumulated) we will have more downloads this year alone, we are almost already there as Tobias pointed out. So you downloaded 6 versions by yourself in the last week? well yeah, that is the way it works, everyone downloads many versions. Same goes with the RI. Do you really think there are 2M J2EE developers out there?

The bottom line is this. I am aware of the fact that we are a powerhouse today, we need to say it. That is marketing, take a "true message" to the masses. We are not "claiming", it is a fact and we are making sure you guys are as aware of it as we are. True, there is lying marketing, but we are about "real marketing" we take a true message and amplify. Marketing works at its best when there is a grounding in facts.