6 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2003 5:56 PM by mbonar

"IBM recommends JBoss over Oracle app server"

tobias

In interview with John Swainson, general manager of IBM Software Group's Application and Integration Middleware Division, CRN asked:

CRN: What do you think of Oracle's new application server pricing ($5,000 per CPU for an enterprise-scale product), which seems to be trying to undercut WebSphere's enterprise play?

Swainson: Oracle tried everything in the book to get [the company] established in the app server market. It's not clear to me that this is any more credible than their previous attempts. The fact is, they actually have been trying to give their products away and have not had a huge amount of success. So it's not clear to me that charging $5,000 for a product no one wants is going to be any more useful. Let's face it. If someone wants a cheap Web app server, they can go get JBoss or Tomcat and be perfectly happy. So if I was looking for something cheap, why would I buy Oracle's app server?

Taken with a grain of salt you could say "IBM recommends JBoss over Oracle app server" *evil grin*.

The full interview is here:
      http://www.crn.com/sections/BreakingNews/dailyarchives.asp?ArticleID=41390

Now let me ask: Why would I buy IBM's WebSphere [tm][tm][tm]?