7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2003 9:10 AM by darranl

Crisis?

hezekiel

http://www.coredevelopers.net/

8 former members of Jboss have formed their own 'company'

..ensures a fair and equitable distribution of the company's profits to the people actually responsible for writing and maintaining open source code for J2EE projects

How are things going to proceed from here? Should we, the end users be worried?

What ever you do, don't fight over it. Maybe there's something to be learned by each party. Perhaps the new 'dual nature' will bring even more robust and innovative JBoss to us ;-)

• 1. Re: Crisis?

In my typically British style:
          "Crisis, what crisis?" :-)

This will have little impact on jboss.org the
          open source project.

I suspect that when the dust settles, this will have
          little impact on JBoss Group either.

One correction: Only three of the developers
          were working on Jboss Group contracts.

Regards,
          Adrian

• 2. Re: Crisis?
            joelvogt

The only big impact might be the slashdotting ;) I think jboss.org struggled for a little bit, but seems to going along alright now.

• 3. Re: Crisis?

It might have been the upgrade.

Up until yesterday this sight was running
              jboss3.2.0RC4

Regards,
              Adrian

• 4. Re: Crisis?

The impact is more customers get the service they deserve and the JBoss.or project keep sproducing quality releases...

Note that every major analyst and some consultants from TMCmissed this important point ..

• 5. Re: Crisis?
                  hezekiel

Okay. Sounds good to me. Keep up the good work and I'll keep buying documentation (from two sources?) and doing some 'free' promoting. :-)

• 6. Re: Crisis?

Hi all,

Although I don't know the background of the split it seems to me that programmers taking economical matters in their own hands is a logical outcome of the empowerment that open source gives to programmers. JBoss has been a groundbreaker, I hope more initiatives will follow: yes, even my own maybe.

The world still is big.

Regards,

Sanne

• 7. Re: Crisis?
                      darranl

This split seems to be more serious that it first appeared, I found the following article that I had not seen before :-

http://siliconvalley.internet.com/news/article.php/2217651

One of the quotes from the core developers network says :-

"Unfortunately, the forums on jboss.org are a commercial venue for the JBoss Group LLC, and therefore we will not be participating in them,"

I think that recently this has definately been noticable and the value of the forums has dropped a lot.

The majority of questions posted on the forums on certain subjects (CMP and JCA are the ones that I have noticed) used to get very quick answers from the main developers of these areas, now getting an answer seems to depend on someone else already discovering the problem and finding a resolution.

Also one of the benefits of the forums was that it was a place that future developments were discussed. If lead developers are saying that they will not use the forums are these developers also going to stop developing the major changes (If so who else is going to do it?) or does it mean that they are going to make changes on their own without input from the JBoss community?

Does this now mean that the best place for discussion is the SourceForge mailing list? If we are having a problem with JBoss should we just raise it as a bug so that we have a discussion with the developer that originally wrote the code?