This is how i do it in JBoss with Sybase
1. go to docs/examples/jca and put your db specific data in sybase-service.xml (e.g. driver, username, password)
2. you drop sybase-service.xml in the deploy directory.
3. locate the jndi name in the file
4. In a session facade bean write:
InitialContext ctx = new InitialContext();
DataSource ds = (DataSource) ctx.lookup(java:/SybaseDS);
5. call 'Connection conn = ds.getConnection();'
6. and when your done call 'conn.close();' and the connection is released back into the pool.