2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2003 2:26 PM by Chris Trawick

Redeploy and open file descriptors

Chris Trawick Newbie

Gentoo Linux 1.4 (kernel 2.4.22-grsec-1.9.12)
      Dell PowerEdge 6350 (4x P2 Xeon 450mHz, 2g RAM)
      JBoss-Jetty 3.2.1
      Sun JDK 1.4.2_01
      UW SCSI (ext3)

I don't know if this is a question for JBoss, Java, or Linux.

During development, I deploy and redeploy a lot of stuff to JBoss. After a while, the whole system grinds to a halt. When I restart JBoss everything is fine again.

JBoss is only using 290m of its allocated 512m of memory. Thread/process counts are stable. No swap is being used. The system is utterly idle.

However, JBoss has quite a few file descriptors open to nothing. Here's a sample from lsof:

java 78 ctrawick mem DEL 8,4 1093940 /home/ctrawick/jboss-3.2.1/server/default/tmp/deploy/home/ctrawick/siren/target/deploy/siren-1.0-dev-debug.sar/29.siren-1.0-dev-debug.sar-contents/commons-beanutils-1.6.jar

A file descriptor open to a deleted file? I confirmed that it doesn't exist on the filesystem.

I've gone through several development iterations since I last restarted JBoss and now there are 18,216 lines of the above coming back from lsof, all in JBoss's tmp dir, all referencing different files in my deployment.

I just restarted JBoss and now there are zero, and the system is clunking along much more happily.

Googling "+del +lsof" was rather counterproductive. Has anyone seen this sort of thing before?

chris