3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2004 10:29 AM by rhvaldes

JBoss 3.2.3 is slow!!

sandy_basic

I deployed my application(arnd 100 JSPs and 150 servlets) with default configuration on JBoss 3.2.3 (with tomcat 4.1.29). The performance of JBoss seems to be slow as compared to JRun(which used to be our server before) as far as page response time is concerned. Are there any special settings which need to be changed (from default config) to boost up performance? I've already removed unnecessary services like JMS. Where do we specify refresh frequency for hot deploy? are there different refresh frequencies for xml/property files and jsp/class files? I've been reading posts on this topic with various comments on performance issues and figured out that these are the operations that we can perform to improve performance..
      -use jikes compiler
      -use clustering
      -disable explicit GC
      -increase memory size
      Which of these is easiest and cheapest to improve the performance greatly? Is there anything else that I can do to see a faster response time on browser?
      Any ideas/help on this issue is greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: JBoss 3.2.3 is slow!!
          rmaucher

You need to post specific data on what you are testing.
          For JSPs, you need to either precompile them (and map them as servlets), or disable de development mode of Jasper. This makes a big difference.

• 2. Re: JBoss 3.2.3 is slow!!
            richardzheng

How to disable the development mode of Jasper in JBoss3.2.1?

Thanks

• 3. Re: JBoss 3.2.3 is slow!!
              rhvaldes

You can modify the web.xml file located in your deploy\jbossweb-tomcat41.sar directory to tune your web server performance. You may overwrite the default init-params of the JspServlet class that deals with jsp compilation. Read the comments found in the web.xml file for the correct parameters that may be modified to fine tune your server.