4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2005 11:20 AM by jova73

High CPU usage on Windows

jova73

Hi,
      when I run JBoss 3.2.1 on my computer (Windows XP SP2) launching the run.bat file then I see an overall decrease of my computer performances.
      JBoss, even if it seems idle (I don't use any of the deployed applications and it doesn't log anything), takes the 90/95% of my CPU.
      Using SysInternals Process Explorer I've seen that a JBoss thread running the MSVCRT.DLL takes the CPU.
      If I run JBoss with JBoss-IDE then no more CPU-problems.

Any idea?

Thanks,
      Andrea

• 1. Re: High CPU usage on Windows
          jkwon

this is happening to me as well. any ideas?

• 2. Re: High CPU usage on Windows
            schrouf

If the JBoss thread runs MSVCRT.DLL than this seems to be a Java Native Interface (JNI) system call. So maybe it's a JVM/Java SDK version problem. Have you multiple SDK versions installed ?

Regards
            Ulf

• 3. Re: High CPU usage on Windows
              clebert.suconic

MSVCRT.DLL is the DLL for Microsoft Visual C Run Time.

It looks like you are using Microsoft's Java version.

Make sure you are defining JAVA_HOME at your environment to the right JVM, and set the JVM at the classpath.

Sometime in the past I had Oracle's JVM causing me problems. Execute java -version and take a look on what version you are getting when executing jboss.

• 4. Re: High CPU usage on Windows
                jova73

Hi all,
                yes I have several versions of j2sdk installed, but JBoss uses the Sun SDK as reported by log/boot.log
                I'll keep investigating and I'll try different versions of the JVM.
                I would try to check also if JBoss is stuck with a system call (maybe a socket?). How can I see what is JBoss waiting for? In the log (with DEBUG log level) there's nothing about it...

Thanks,
                Andrea