6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2009 9:17 AM by peterj

JBoss 5.1.0.GA performance tuning

Hello Folks,
      I need some assistance on JBoss 5.1.0.GA performance tuning on redhat enterprise Linux 5.
      I request you to post some information on this like what are the required parameters and values need to set to improve the performance and where those are located( which file), cache, what version/ implementation of caching ( EH cach , jboss cache )., threads , database connection pools, heap size, pooling, web connections etc..

Thank you,
      Narasimha

• 1. Re: JBoss 5.1.0.GA performance tuning
          peterj

A lot of this information is already in this forum in various posts. More can be found by entering "performance' in the Search the Community box at the top right of the web page.

• 2. Re: JBoss 5.1.0.GA performance tuning

Peter,
            Thank you for your reply. Here in our forums, Most of them are looks like related to Old version of JBoss AS.
            I am looking for JBoss5.x tuning.
            Can you refer any nice books for JBoss 5.x tuning and what are the required parameters need to set or may not need to set in JBoss 5 as and also Linux related books if you can refer, that helps me.

• 3. Re: JBoss 5.1.0.GA performance tuning
              peterj

A book on JBoss AS 5 performance tuning? Hmm, JBoss in Action (http://www.manning.com/jamae) comes to mind - chapter 14 is all about performance tuning. And don't discount advice given for prior versions of JBoss AS - JVM tuning suggestions still apply; OS-related suggestions still apply; specific AS tweaks typically still apply though the settings might have moved to different files.

For RHEL tuning, I don't know. All of the Linux books I have are on general administration and configuration and they don't appear to have a performance tuning chapter.

• 4. Re: JBoss 5.1.0.GA performance tuning

Hi Peter,
                THe book you referred has some info about tuning Jboss5. But I did not see tuning Connection pools and exact file and what parameters need to change and need few more info on specifically tuning.
                I also got some info from below link.
                http://www.redhat.com/promo/summit/2009/highlights/
                -------
                If you have any input about what are the parameters and which/where the file located in JBOss 5 for tuning 1.connection pools, 2. Thread pools, 3. Object/Component pools, 4. Logging 5. cache, hibernate etc
                -------
                I would like to know your opinion on below.
                one of the application I am working is accessed by around 1 million customers with in 2 to 4 hours everyday.
                For example I need to configure the connection pools.
                is there any way we can decide number of connection pools(min, max etc.) number of threads, min and max cache size etc..
                based on the number of incoming requests/out going responses.
                For example : I have 10000 requests coming every 20 minutes, then my max connection pool size should be 100.
                ---
                is there any ball park number we have . I understand that we can not give exact number but we might have specific count based on the throughput.
                -----
                I really appreciate all your input on this. Thank you again, Narasimha

• 5. Re: JBoss 5.1.0.GA performance tuning
                  aaditya

Waiting for Peter's reply

• 6. Re: JBoss 5.1.0.GA performance tuning
                    peterj

But I did not see tuning Connection pools and exact file and what parameters need to change

Section 14.6.1, configuring datasources

Thread pools

Section 14.6.2, Configuring the HTTP request thread pool

Object/Component pools

If all access is via a web app, the HTTP thread pools are all you need - all objects and component are access via on the HTTP threads.

is there any way we can decide number of connection pools(min, max etc.) number of threads, min and max cache size etc..

Yes, by running performance tests. See section 14.2. Once you know the performance aspects of your application, then you will be able to "decide number of connection pools(min, max etc.) number of threads, min and max cache size etc.. based on the number of incoming requests/out going responses"