7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2004 10:32 AM by Christopher Rued

Do I want/need JCA?

Christopher Rued Newbie

I'd like to create one or more pools of objects that will be available to my system in a way similar to how DataSources can be configured and used.

Basically, each pool will have some number of similar objects in it that may only be used by one thread at a time. When I need to use one of these objects, I will call borrow() [or something similar] and when I am finished using the object, I will call return() [or something similar].

Additionally, I'd like to be able to able to configure these pools of these objects through XML files (in a manner similar to DataSources) so that I can set up the particulars of the environment.

I've read through documentation, and looked over some code for how jdbc and jms JCA adapters were implemented, but there doesn't seem to be a really good "how to" on the subject. Before I spend a lot more time trying to figure it out, I wanted to make sure I was on the right track.

Does is sound like I should use JCA? Any other suggestions for what I should be using?

Thanks in advance.