4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2004 2:56 PM by adrian.brock

"javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: jdbc not bound"

ter_d

I keep having this error. I've created oracle-ds.xml file, located it in deploy folder, copying in from examples, and just changing the url, user and password. I haven't done anything more. Is there any file I had to modify and I did'nt do?
      Thanks for your time!
      Kisses.

• 1. Re:
          darranl

You must be doing something else.

When is this error displayed, starting the server? deploying the -ds.xml?

Are you trying to access the datasource from a client or something?

• 2. Re:

darranl, please don't answer these kind of questions.

Just let them sweat until they provide some useful information.

In this case, there are two obvious mistakes which should easily
            be recognisable from the FAQ or docs:
            1) He mentions he copies the example -ds.xml file, but doesn't mention installing the jdbc driver
            2) The example does not install the DataSource in a jndi context with "jdbc" anywhere in its name (he does not mention changing the jndi binding)

He doesn't even post his changed config or the stacktrace of the error!

If we answer all such inane questions by lazy users, we will do nothing else
            for the rest of our lives. Also, it just encourages them to be even lazier.

People like you and I have better things to do with our lives.

If I had my way, there would be a button we could press
            to move all such posts to a separate forum "Incompetent User Posts"
            with that forum excluded from the search index and spider index (such as google).

• 3. Re:
              ter_d

I don't think there's any need to be rude with me. It's the first time I worked with Jboss. It's the first time I send a post in this forum, so I do not have to know the kind of information you need to answer my question. Any case: you don't have any obligation to answer it. I think you've spent more time being rude than the time you would have spent if you had answered me.
              Besides that, I don't agree with you in your disscuss. I'm not lazy. I've spent four hours today, and four hours more yesterday, searching for information. And I'm so sorry if I'm not as clever as you to find it. I'm mathematician, that's not my job, but I'm trying to do my best. I've read in forums that you have to modify web.xml, others say you don't have to touch it. I've installed my jbdc drivers and modified the oracle-ds.xml as suggested in the Startup Guide but it doesn't seem to be enough.
              I just wanted some help but if you're too proud to help me, let others who really want to do it. And if not, tell me what you need to know to solve my problem.
              Thanks a lot for your useless time.

PD: And I'm a woman, if you don't mind.

• 4. Re:

I apologise, unfortunatly the English language does not have a generic/neuter gender.

But, the rest of my comment stand as is though.

There is a "READ THIS FIRST" that tells you exactly what you should provide
                when making a post and provides a link to FAQs and the WIKI.
                There is also a documentation link where there is a getting started guide,
                and a whole forum "the beginners forum" for newbies who want to ask inane
                questions.

There is also a search function at the top of this page that can be used
                rather than bothering people with the same old questions.

It is not about being clever, it is about trying to turn these forums into
                a useful resource for developers (many ignore it because it is full of useless
                posts like this one). Certainly, the search index is practically unusable
                because the insightful posts are drowned out by this type.

In most other open source forums, you would probably just have been ignored
                and wouldn't know why.
                Maybe you believe that ignorance is preferable to being corrected?