2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2005 3:46 PM by dtauzell

How idle-timeout works

Hi,

I am using JBoss 3.2.6. I have configured an Oracle datasource such that it never times out the connections:

<min-pool-size>0</min-pool-size>
      <max-pool-size>50</max-pool-size>
      <blocking-timeout-millis>5000</blocking-timeout-millis>
      <idle-timeout-minutes>0</idle-timeout-minutes>

I also enabled TRACE level for the connectionmanager. It appears that JBoss is removing connections:

2005-01-12 10:27:09,188 TRACE [org.jboss.resource.connectionmanager.JBossManagedCon
      nectionPool] Destroying timedout connection org.jboss.resource.connectionmanager.Tx
      ConnectionManager$TxConnectionEventListener@12e71947[state=NORMAL mc=org.jboss.reso
      urce.adapter.jdbc.local.LocalManagedConnection@12e71902 handles=0 lastUse=110554692
      9168 permit=false trackByTx=false mcp=org.jboss.resource.connectionmanager.JBossMan
      agedConnectionPool$PoolBySubject@12f7b8cf context=org.jboss.resource.connectionmana
      ger.InternalManagedConnectionPool@1380d08a]

I'm not sure why this is happening. I thought the idle-timeout set to 0 would cause them to never be timed out.

Am I reading the TRACE message wrong?

• 1. Re: How idle-timeout works

The trace message should not be reachable if you really do have that config:

From the InternalManagedConnectionPool constructor

if (poolParams.idleTimeout != 0)
           IdleRemover.registerPool(this, poolParams.idleTimeout);

You can see this attribute on the jmx console for the managed connection pool.

• 2. Re: How idle-timeout works

You are right. While the datasource I added has idle-timeout-minutes set to 0, there is a file 'hsqldb-ds.xml' which defines DefaultDS which does have a timeout value.

Sorry about that.

-Dave