1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 21, 2005 11:55 AM by clizarralde

connection pool and statement cache

zielony

Hi All

I need some explanation or link to some resource which explain me my doubts, so:

1) what is difrence between oracle-ds.xml and oracle-xa-ds.xml, i know that second one is used when we need "distributed transactions", but what is it this "distributed transactions" in simple words

2) when i have in oracle-ds.xml such lines:
      <min-pool-size>5</min-pool-size>
      <max-pool-size>10</max-pool-size>
      is it enough to enable and run connection pool in jboss?? or should i configure something more???

3) when i have in oracle-ds.xml such lines:
      <prepared-statement-cache-size>50</prepared-statement-cache-size>
      is it enough to enable and run prepared statement cache in jboss?? or should i configure something more???

4) where i can observe stress of connection pool and statement cache? or do you know some free program which gather such statistic??

5) is in jboss prepared statement caching works per connection or per pool connection??, because i read that new jdbc allow to cache prepared statement in pool so one connection can use prepared statement which have been created in another connection but in this same pool

i use jboss 4.0.3RC1 and oracle 10g

thanks for any replay, i spend much time to find some information about that but nothing convince me in 100%, so i need exactly short answers:)
      thanks a lot

Greats
      Michael

• 1. Re: connection pool and statement cache
          clizarralde

"zielony" wrote:

1) what is difrence between oracle-ds.xml and oracle-xa-ds.xml, i know that second one is used when we need "distributed transactions", but what is it this "distributed transactions" in simple words

a Distributes transaction involves two different resources that require transaction acid properties ( jms server, two diffeent databases, etc. ). For example, you should use an XA datasources in case you are using more than one database within a single business transaction. We are using oracle and ms sqlserver and we are using xa datasources.

"zielony" wrote:

3) when i have in oracle-ds.xml such lines:
          <prepared-statement-cache-size>50</prepared-statement-cache-size>
          is it enough to enable and run prepared statement cache in jboss?? or should i configure something more???

You should check the database statistics related to query parsing (check oracle statpack). If you have too many query parsing then you should increase this value.