2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2006 2:27 PM by Divesh Goyal

    JCA Connector (RAR) inside EAR not getting bound to JNDI

    Divesh Goyal Newbie

      I've run into problem when my RAR is inside an EAR - jboss fails to bind the connector to the specified jndi name.

      I started out by deploying the RAR standalone. To do this, I put the -ds.xml directly in the RAR. This worked fine and the connector was bound to the JNDI properly.

      I then proceeded to including the RAR inside my EAR. To do this, I simply added the RAR (which contains the -ds.xml) to the EAR and added the following entry to the EAR's application.xml :-

      <module>
       <connector>my_connector.rar</connector>
      </module>


      This does not work. Though the EAR deploys without any errors or warnings, the connector does not get bound to the JNDI.

      Any clues what could be going wrong?



        • 1. Re: JCA Connector (RAR) inside EAR not getting bound to JNDI
          Weston M. Price Master

          Out of curiorsity, in regards to this, and the other post...Is there any particular reason why you want the *-ds.xml file inside your RAR file? Typically these are kept outside of the module to allow for configuration and hot deployment.

          • 2. Re: JCA Connector (RAR) inside EAR not getting bound to JNDI
            Divesh Goyal Newbie

            Thanks for your prompt reply Weston.

            I need to provide the connector, and indeed the whole application, as something that just works out of the box. The end users are free to deploy to a number of application servers, including JBoss. I've found that the most portable way to do this was to bundle everything into an EAR and include appserver specific depoyment descriptors in the archives itself.

            Yes, I did initially keep -ds.xml outside the module while I was debugging and tweeking. Now that I have arrived at the desired settings, I have tucked it inside the module.

            Just to reiterate, this approach of bundling -ds.xml within the module works when I deploy the module standalone (as a RAR), but doesn't work when the module is within an EAR.

            Thanks for your comments.