13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2007 3:07 AM by jaikiran

No suitable driver found for java:PostgresDS

chewbacca

Hello all,

First of all, this is my first post and I would like to thank anyone that has interest in helping me. That's the way communities grown.

Below follows my development environment configuration:

* Java 6 Update 3;
      * JBoss 4.2.2 GA;
      * PostgreSQL 8.2;

I am trying to run a very simple example in order to check if I correctly configured a PostgreSQL datasource, but I'm receiving an error message:

javax.servlet.ServletException: javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Unable to get connection, DataSource invalid: "java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver found for java:PostgresDS"

I have done the following steps in order to configure the PostgreSQL datasource:

1. Included a postgres-ds.xml in the [JBOSS_HOME]/server/default/deploy directory, with the follwing content:

<local-tx-datasource>
      <jndi-name>PostgresDS</jndi-name>
      <connection-url>jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/jboss</connection-url>
      <driver-class>org.postgresql.Driver</driver-class>
      <user-name>jboss</user-name>
      jboss
      <!-- sql to call when connection is created. Can be anything, select 1 is valid for PostgreSQL
      <new-connection-sql>select 1</new-connection-sql>
      -->

<!-- sql to call on an existing pooled connection when it is obtained from pool. Can be anything, select 1 is valid for PostgreSQL
      <check-valid-connection-sql>select 1</check-valid-connection-sql>
      -->

<!-- corresponding type-mapping in the standardjbosscmp-jdbc.xml -->

<type-mapping>PostgreSQL 8.0</type-mapping>

</local-tx-datasource>

2. Included the postgresql-8.2-506.jdbc4.jar file in the [JBOSS_HOME]/server/default/lib directory.

3. Create the needed database (jboss) and the needed username and password combination (jboss/jboss).

I am trying to connect to the PostgresSQL database with the following line of code inside a JSP page:

<sql:setDataSource dataSource="java:PostgresDS" />

I have already changed the dataSource propertu value to "PostgresDS", "java:/PostgresDS", and received the same error.

Please, any help is appreciated!

Thank you for reading,

André

• 1. Re: No suitable driver found for java:PostgresDS
          vickyk

javax.servlet.ServletException: javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Unable to get connection, DataSource invalid: "java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver found for java:PostgresDS"

Post the complete log details .
          Are you getting NoClassDefinitionError somewhere in the log ?

• 2. Re: No suitable driver found for java:PostgresDS
            chewbacca

Hi vickyk,

I hope that is enough. Thanks for your help!

2007-11-26 09:58:25,531 DEBUG [org.jboss.web.tomcat.service.jasper.TagLibCache] Scanning for tlds in: file:/C:/Arquivos de programas/Javaware/jboss-4.2.2.GA/server/default/deploy/jboss-web.deployer/jstl.jar
            2007-11-26 09:58:27,640 ERROR [org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[jboss.web].[localhost].[/demo].[jsp]] Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
            javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Unable to get connection, DataSource invalid: "java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver found for java:PostgresDS"
            at org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.common.sql.QueryTagSupport.getConnection(QueryTagSupport.java:276)
            at org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.common.sql.QueryTagSupport.doStartTag(QueryTagSupport.java:159)
            at org.apache.jsp.demo_jsp._jspx_meth_sql_005fquery_005f0(demo_jsp.java:149)
            at org.apache.jsp.demo_jsp._jspService(demo_jsp.java:94)
            at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:70)
            at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)
            at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:373)
            at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:336)
            at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:265)
            at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
            at org.jboss.web.tomcat.filters.ReplyHeaderFilter.doFilter(ReplyHeaderFilter.java:96)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:230)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:175)
            at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.SecurityAssociationValve.invoke(SecurityAssociationValve.java:179)
            at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.JaccContextValve.invoke(JaccContextValve.java:84)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
            at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)
            at org.jboss.web.tomcat.service.jca.CachedConnectionValve.invoke(CachedConnectionValve.java:157)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
            at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:262)
            at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:844)
            at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:583)
            at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:446)
            at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
            2007-11-26 09:58:46,640 DEBUG [com.arjuna.ats.arjuna.logging.arjLogger] Periodic recovery - first pass <Seg, 26 Nov 2007 09:58:46>
            2007-11-26 09:58:46,640 DEBUG [com.arjuna.ats.arjuna.logging.arjLogger] StatusModule: first pass

Andre

• 3. Re: No suitable driver found for java:PostgresDS
              vickyk

Andre,
              Try this simple code in jsp and let me know what exception do you get

<%
              InitialContext ctx = new InitialContext();
              DataSource ds = (DataSource)ctx.lookup("java:PostgresDS");
              Connection con = ds.getConnection();
              con.close();
              %>

Also make sure that you don't have any other version of postgres driver present in Jboss distribution .

Vicky

• 4. Re: No suitable driver found for java:PostgresDS
                chewbacca

Hi Vicky,

I am a begginer in J2EE in general, so I am having problems performing your test. I have changed my JSP page trying to do what you request, but now I am recieving the following error:

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: /demo.jsp(14,0) Invalid directive

Here is the JSP code:

<%@ page language="java" contentType="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1"%>

<%@ taglib prefix="sql" uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/sql"%>
                <%@ taglib prefix="c" uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core"%>

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

Test

<%@
                InitialContext ctx=new InitialContext();
                DataSource
                ds=(DataSource)ctx.lookup( "java:PostgresDS");
                Connection
                con=ds.getConnection();con.close();
                %>

Andre

• 5. Re: No suitable driver found for java:PostgresDS
                  chewbacca

Hi Vicky,

I managed to run the test, and it worked. I used the follwing JSP code:

<%
                  DataSource ds=(DataSource)ctx.lookup( "java:PostgresDS");
                  Connection con=ds.getConnection();
                  System.out.println("Connection successful");
                  con.close();
                  %>

and it printed 'Connection successful' in the JBoss console window.

What does it means? That the JDBC driver is correct?

Thank you,

Andre

• 6. Re: No suitable driver found for java:PostgresDS
                    vickyk

What does it means? That the JDBC driver is correct?

Yes

• 7. Re: No suitable driver found for java:PostgresDS
                      chewbacca

Hi Vicky,

Thanks A LOT for your help. But do you know what should I try now? It is still not working.

Andre

• 8. Re: No suitable driver found for java:PostgresDS
                        chewbacca

Hi anyone,

I'm still trying to figure it out. I will reinstate the problem now:

If I try to connect using the code below, it WORKS:

<%
                        DataSource ds=(DataSource)ctx.lookup( "java:PostgresDS");
                        Connection con=ds.getConnection();
                        con.close();

If I try to this one, it DOESN'T WORKS:

Anyone knows why?

Thank you all,

Andre

• 9. Re: No suitable driver found for java:PostgresDS
                          vickyk

Custom Tag libraries are not used properly .
                          You should be using it in this way
                          <sql:setDataSource
                           var="example"
                           driver="org.postgresql.Driver"
                           url="jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/jboss"
                           user="jboss"
                           password=""
                          />

For more details look here
                          http://www.oracle.com/technology/sample_code/tech/java/codesnippet/jsps/jstlsql.html

And use GOOGLE it is free :)

• 10. Re: No suitable driver found for java:PostgresDS
                            chewbacca

Hi Vicky,

AFAIK, since I have configured the DataSource using the postgres-ds.xml in the deploy dir of JBoss, it should not be needed for me to, once again, enter the connection information (like driver, url, user and password). I should only need to refer to it using its JNDI name.

And you can be sure I googled it more than a handful of times. AAMOF, I even found the answers, but they are just not working. That is why i'm posting here.

Anyway, thanks a lot, again, for your help.

Andre

• 11. Re: No suitable driver found for java:PostgresDS
                              chewbacca

Hi Vicky (or anyone else who is willing to help),

After testing based on the resource you provided me, the problem is even more isolated now:

If I use the code below, IT WORKS:

<sql:setDataSource var="example" driver="org.postgresql.Driver" url="jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/jboss" user="jboss" password="jboss"/>

<sql:query var="qryPosts" dataSource="${example}">
                              SELECT postname, comments FROM public.posts
                              </sql:query>

When I use this code, IT DOESN'T WORK:

<sql:setDataSource var="example" dataSource="java:/PostgresDS"/>

I believe the problem is the way I have configured the data source on JBoss. I probably have done something wrong, but I followinf the JBoss Getting Started guide besides other resources.

Any ideas?

Thanks again,

Andre

• 12. Re: No suitable driver found for java:PostgresDS
                                chewbacca

Update:

I'm realy doing something wrong. I'm getting the exact same error while trying to use MySQL...

Andre

• 13. Re: No suitable driver found for java:PostgresDS
                                  jaikiran

"chewbacca" wrote:

When I use this code, IT DOESN'T WORK:

<sql:setDataSource var="example" dataSource="java:/PostgresDS"/>

I believe the problem is the way I have configured the data source on JBoss. I probably have done something wrong, but I followinf the JBoss Getting Started guide besides other resources.

Andre,

I dont have any experience with JSTL tags, but going by what a similar post (http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=790011&messageID=9405859) says, it looks like the way the tag is interpreting the datasource JNDI name. By default, the JNDI name is bound to the java: namespace. If you want it to be available in the java:/comp/env namespace of your application(so that it can be used in the JSTL tag), then you will have to explicitly make a mention of it(using the resource-ref element) in the web.xml and jboss-web.xml.