6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2002 6:19 PM by javaguy

What IDE do you all use?

graukatz

I've been using Sun's Forte for "plain" Java, but noticed that they offer something special for EJB writers for only $2K. Does anybody think this is worth it? Is there something else that does almost as well?

Thanks!

-Will

• 1. Re: What IDE do you all use?
          sgturner

People use Eclipse which is free and getting rave reviews. I use Intellij which costs, but way less than 2K.

• 2. Re: What IDE do you all use?
            ikant

IDEA is, in my opinion, the only Java IDE worth using

• 3. Re: What IDE do you all use?
              ljagged

I've been using Eclipse and I love it. It's got plugins for ant, junit, jboss, etc. I downloaded the examples from the jboss docs page, imported it into eclipse and in fifteen minutes I was starting and stopping jboss from the ide, as well as building, deploying, etc. Eclipse is pretty speedy, too. Much faster than Netbeans/Forte.

• 4. Re: What IDE do you all use?
                jazzatola

I've been using Netbeans for quite a while now. Very happy with it so far. I did check out Eclipse too but it seemed to have a steeper learning curve and I didn't have time to give it the attention it deserved.

I'd certainly recommend NetBeans though.

• 5. Re: What IDE do you all use?
                  schoemc

I've searched high and low, but only seem to find plugins for Eclipse 2.0 that are still being developed. Which plugins do I need to be able to develop EJBs with relative ease, and to test them on JBoss from within the IDE (if possible)?

• 6. Re: What IDE do you all use?

I am using Eclipse 2.0 and Forte 4EA CE. They both are nice, I think Eclipse is a little lighter on the rsource and faster.

JG