0 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2003 8:05 AM by renatonow

Really good IDE for J2EE-JBoss development

renatonow

Hi everybody.

I just want to know which IDE to use for my next J2EE project. I'm relatively new to J2EE arena and JBoss. My first project was messy, partly because I used the wrong IDE wich was JDeveloper 9.0.3.

When I was trying to configure my EJBs to work with JBoss I had to do manual configuration of the various .xml files. Then I've tryed out XDoclet to do the work but it doesn't work out well for me as I was doing EJB-UML modeling with JDev wich handles the auto-creation of the files that makes up an EJB.

My ideal IDE would be:
      -Full UML support
      -J2EE modeling
      -Auto generation of .xml files for JBoss
      -Not XDoclet support (it's hard to read for me)
      -Struts/WebServices ready

I loved Rational XDE, but I don't like the idea that to work with Websphere Studio 4.0.3 I have to go back to J2EE 1.2 spec. I've tryed to install XDE with Websphere Studio 5.0 but it doesn't work. I don't know if Websphere Studio can autogenerate JBoss .xml files for me.

The whole idea is that my team are not code yankees. We would like to make a Model-driven system, just to figure out if that approach is possible to realize with today's tools.

Another thing to keep in mind is that changing between IDEs is costly, so the right decision must be taken place with lot of caution and at the very begining of our project.

Thanks for your help

(sorry for my english)